Transimission speeds

Hi!

I’m very curious to order a Dreamhost package, but I’d like to test how fast your speeds are. I’m from Finland and your servers are in the USA.

So could you please give me a link to a big file that’s on a server you host? Thx :slight_smile:

http://www.dhspeedtest.com/ ?

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

I’ve also PM’ed you a couple of links to large files I host.

Good luck and do let us know what your results are. We’re always interested to get some additional datapoints on download speeds from Europe. (More for people having trouble with their ISP’s than for anything DreamHost-specific)

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

I got a error and was redirected to dslreports.com

Do you have a java runtime environment installed on your computer? The page requires java for best download/upload performance (and works fine for me, btw).

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Thank you for your links!

First I only got about 150 kb/s on a 2/1 Mbit/s connection, but the top speed was 170 kb/s. The average speed was 160. To european servers I usually get 200kb/s or more.

My ISP is Elisa ( http://www.elisa.com/ )

I installed a new java and it worked. I got 1675Kbps / 341Kbps (My connection is 2048/512 unlike I stated in my previous post). That’s a great result for a USA server. I’ll use Lensman’s referrer if I choose to sign up :slight_smile:

Hey, you should do a coin toss between moua and me!

Ok :smiley: I’ll do that when I’m ordering the package :slight_smile: The only problem is my current host, which owns my domain and I’m having trouble transferring it here. But hopefully it gets solved.

Thanks for both of you :slight_smile:

Hey,
when I do the speed test I get 1043 kbps down and 130 kbps up (on a 3mbit connection). However, whenever I download files from my DH server, I get around 330kbps. What’s the problem?

It could be any number of things. Some may be DreamHost related (such as a heavy server load) while most are likely to be something in your routing, or other ISP related issue.

Do you have a “test” file available on your site so others can test their throughput when downloading from your site?

Edit in response to your edit: that speed is not that bad :wink:

–rlparker

Sure , here’s a test file http://www.blidskjulet.com/dl/7500stockphotos.zip . By the way, this is a little gift from me, 7500 royalty free stock photos, enjoy :slight_smile:

Oh and, my dsl connection is 3.3mbit down and 330kbps up, if that has anything to do with it.

I’m downloading it now and gettting 4-6 mbps on the download. This is about the same as I get from my sites.

Well I am located in Europe , but from the dhspeedtest I got 1043 kbp, and my dsl connection is 3300 kbps. Do you think my ISP caps downloads at around 400 kbps, is that possible?

Have you tried downloads from other speed tests on dslreports.com? It’s possible that the throttle is protocol related or invisible proxy-related, but I dunno.

I’d try a non-java speed test from a U.S. site. Maybe something like:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

I did the flash speed test to a server in California and I got 2700 down and 270 up. I re-did the dhspeedtest.com test and got 2000kbps down and 370kbps up.
I’m guessing there’s some sort of download cap on files of larger file size, would that be possible?

Dunno, this is most curious.

Since you’re the account holder, what happens when you use ftp or sftp to download it? (just as a test)

Well, to add to your data, I averaged about 550kpbs downloading that file from an ATT/SBC adsl connection in California (raw speed last tested at about 4.5mpbs down).

–rlparker

I haven’t tried downloading files from the ftp, I’ll do that later today. But uploading, I get tops 40kbps, yes 40.
It almost seems like I can only user 10% of my potential speed.

Just to make you feel better (or worse), I just tried downloading that stock photo zip again and got 550-675 KB/sec or 4.4-5.4 mbps. This is from New York.