Transferring Websites

Hello!

I currently own a website that is hosted as a sub-site on another host (so the url is like “mysite.hostname.com”). I bought a hosting package with Dream Host, and with it my own domain name. I am trying to figure out how to properly transfer the data from my old site (which is online and has 400 active users and such), but I seem to be running into errors. I have successfully transferred the database tables and data, and I thought I transferred all of the files correctly, but when I try to go anywhere besides the index page I run into this error;
The requested URL /adopt was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I made sure to change my data in the configuration files for my website, so I’m quite perplexed by this error. I don’t understand why the index page is functioning, but the rest is not.

When I look at my site directory via FTP I see there are several folders already there, and I presumed that the one named after my site (…/catisserie.net/…) was Dreamhosts’ version of public_html directory…did I assume incorrectly?

I hope this post is understandable…I really appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

Thank you,
Arik

On your old web host is there an .htaccess file and did you copy if across? it is possible your FTP software doesn’t show .htaccess by default.

Are you using particular software? e.g. wordpress?

Oh man, I can’t believe I didn’t even consider the .htaccess file…wow I must be tired, haha. I guess my file transfer skipped it, so I uploaded one and, voila, magic!

Thank you very much!