Transferring registration of a domain to Dreamhost

Greetings,

Quick question about transferring registration of a domain from another registrar to Dreamhost!

With the current registrar that I have my domain under - I have already paid to have the domain until 2011. However, if I transfer registration away from them to Dreamhost will I lose all of those years I already paid on? Or will I be able to keep the years I had left but it’ll now just be listed under Dreamhost?

I’m trying to cancel the hosting plan I have with them but don’t want to do that before I know exactly what will happen with the domain. Because if I cancel the plan I only have two options to either: drop the hosting plan and keep the domain [but if i choose this option - after the domain expires they wont renew it], or i can drop the hosting plan and instantly drop the domain [which i obviously dont want to do]. and of course i have the option to transfer the domain but i don’t want to lose on those years i already paid for.

Thanks for the help
– User24

P.S. Thank you to all of the fabulous Dreamhosters that help others out on this forum. You guys/gals are amazing, knowledgeable and extremely kind. Reasons such as these are why I wish to stick with Dreamhost for a long while.

If they’ve actually registered the domain for you for the four years, then that’s permanent. I can’t imagine a case where they’d charge you for 5 years registration and not actually register the domain for that amount of time. I don’t even know if it’s legal for them to do that.

At any rate, when you transfer your domain to DreamHost, you’ll get to keep the original registration period.

That’s because you register your domain through your registrar, but you’re the one actually registering the domain.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

BTW, many people here don’t actually transfer the domain registration to DreamHost when they’ve registered somewhere else. Oftentimes people find it more convenient to just change the nameservers for the domain or, less commonly, just set the A records to point to their DreamHost server.

That’s what I’ve done for some of my domains.

Then again, if you’re not keeping any hosting with your old registrar, I could see you wanting to cut all ties with them. I kept some hosting with my old provider.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I can’t believe I never responded to your help Lensman.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. :slight_smile:

Anytime, User24!

Did everything work out for you?

Yes, it did lensman. :slight_smile:
Thanks for asking - you’re very kind indeed.

Take Care,
User24

Good to hear. Good to hear.

You take care too! And let us know here if you have any other questions.