Transferring Hosting from One Domain to Another

Hi! I’m a noob with a predicament. I bought a hosting package that came with a free domain registration. Instead of taking advantage of the free domain option, I set up the hosting with a domain I already had (registered elsewhere). Shortly after, I realized that the domain wasn’t really the one I wanted, so I came up with a different one and registered it using my free domain registration that came with the hosting package. I will be allowing the old domain to expire.

My question is: how do I transfer my hosting to the new domain name I just registered? Can I do that?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

Just let the old one expire. The way the “Free For Life” thing works is that at the end of the year your account is given a credit equivalent to 1 years domain registration. You can apply that credit to any domain you like :slight_smile:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Alright, thank you so much for the response! However, is there any other option? In my Domain Manager, I have the option to “kill a domain.” Would killing the domain cancel the hosting as well? If not, is there away to apply the new domain to the hosting?

I guess I just want to know if there’s any possible way for me to avoid waiting until my domain expires in June. :slight_smile:

Registration is a year at a time, so once you’ve used that credit, you own that registration for a year - like it or not.

Hosting, however, is a different somewhat unrelated system. Only the WHOIS data ties registration to hosting. You can kill that domain, but that will only delete the hosting, and not the registration. With unlimited hosting here, you’re not saving anything by killing a domain.

At $9.95/yr for domain registration, the free domain credit’s nice, but it’s certainly not why I host here. The $10 is a very small annual expense in the grand scheme of things.

-Scott

You can host as many domains as you like on your account.

[color=#00CC00]Panel > Domains > Manage Domains > Add New Domain[/color]

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost