Transferring Domains

Hello –

I registered a domain name through another host (cedant.com), who apparently uses the names4ever.com registrar. I recently started a new host at DreamHost, requesting the domain change. I then went to names4ever.com, and changed the name servers and ip addresses.

My questions now are:

1. do i still have to use names4ever? how is it different than dreamhost?
  2. do i have to cancel anything with the old host, even though i only registered through them (ie i didnt even park the name)?

thank you for any help.

-lucas

Did you transfer the domain registration to us, or did you just point it to our nameservers?

The two are totally separate things.

When I first signed up for the hosting plan with DH, I requested the domain transfer. I then received an email from OpenSRS Transfers, and followed those instructions. It had been about two weeks, and nothing had changed, so I manually went in to names4ever.com to change the nameservers and ip addresses. I would like to have DH handle everything… is there anything else I need to do?

thanks!

-lucas

If you transferred the domain to us, you’ll need to change the nameservers over to us as well after the transfer goes through. If you can’t yet manage the domain from the web panel (under Domains -> Manage), you’ll need to contact support and have them associate the domain with your account.

I am pretty sure that our process makes it fairly clear that transferring the domain registration to us will NOT make this change for you automatically.

You didn’t mention what domain you’re talking about, so I can’t really tell where it’s pointing now.

Will – thanks for the prompt reply. I’m still pretty new to all of this, so the difference between being a registrar and a nameserver is a bit blurry. But regardless – the domain name is d20domain.com, and it is listed in Domains->Manage. On the DNS, while the technical contact and registrar are still old listings, the nameservers are DH. This would lead me to believe that it would be good to go, but…

thanks again. you’re a great help!

-lucas

Is there an active domain registration service under Domains -> Manage, though? Or just the web / mail / DNS services?

FWIW, it doesn’t look like the transfer went through (or it’s still in progress), so making the change at names4ever.com was the right thing to do.

According to crsnic, the domain is still registered by the other provider.

Are you sure that the transfer itself went through successfully? My guess is that either way, this may be an issue best handled by support.

jazz% whois d20domain.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: D20DOMAIN.COM
Registrar: ABACUS AMERICA, INC. DBA NAMES4EVER
Whois Server: whois.names4ever.com
Referral URL: http://www.names4ever.com