Transferring a website

I have a website that is currently hosted by Dreamhost thru the developer of the site. I am disolving my relationship with the developer and want to have Dreamhost host my site for me. My developer has given me all the files including MySQL data base files. I was going to let GoDaddy host it but the SQL data base files point to DreamHost and GoDaddy says that they cannot help me and I have no clue as to how to do this. If I get permission from the developer to transfer the website to my name with dreamhost, what do I need to do to get this to work? I may not be making sense because I don’t really know what I am doing.

If you want to host everything on your account here, you’ll need Support to facilitate this, as users can’t pass domain hosting to each other. This is to prevent hopping from one promo code to another, so if your account isn’t currently under a promo code period, you’re all set. Just submit a ticket to Support.

If you really wanted to host it at GoDaddy, there’s not much stopping you. You’ll just need to update some of the configuration settings for your site.

[quote=“sdayman, post:2, topic:53129”]
If you want to host everything on your account here, you’ll need Support to facilitate this, as users can’t pass domain hosting to each other. This is to prevent hopping from one promo code to another, so if your account isn’t currently under a promo code period, you’re all set. Just submit a ticket to Support.

If you really wanted to host it at GoDaddy, there’s not much stopping you. You’ll just need to update some of the configuration settings for your site.
[/quote][hr]
Hi Scott, Thanks for the reply but I have no idea of how to which configurations to update and do not even know where I can go to learn what needs to be done. Can you point out what I need to research to do this? I know this really sounds dumb but I really do not have a clue as to what to do next. I have a very hard time trusting web developers at this point because I have had so many bad experiences so. Is this something I could hire someone to do and if so do I have to get involved with another web developer? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.[hr]

[quote=“sdayman, post:2, topic:53129”]

[/quote][hr]
I posted the other before I was ready. The main reason I would really like to stay with GoDaddy is I have already spent about $600.00 with them and about $10,000 getting the site developed, before I found out about DreamHost and I would like to be able to recoup some of my money spent before I spend much more. Money is drying up fast.

If you’re not a current customer here, then be sure that you sign up for full price. I think if you pay for one year, they’ll waive the setup fee and you’ll pay $9.95 x 12, whatever that is. Remember that you can’t use a promo code if you want the hosting transferred over to you.

Make sure that the current developer is ready to ask DreamHost Support to transfer the domain’s hosting (and registration) over to you. Once you’re confident the developer will follow through, pay for the hosting here and then have the developer contact Support to move the site over to you.

Once that’s done, you might have to iron out a few kinks, so post back if you have more questions or need other help.