Thanks so much, guys. I appreciate it.
Here’s what I think you’re telling me. Please comment further if I have screwed it up. If it is correct, should I add it to the wiki?
I want to build a new Wordpress website in a test subdomain, then transfer it to the regular domain that already contains other subdomains and web-based applications.
Old website - http://www.oldsite.com
Test website - http://www.test.oldsite.com
- Using One-Click, install WordPress into http://www.test.oldsite.com.
- When done, rename oldsite.com to oldsite.com.old
- Make an empty oldsite.com folder and install a new WordPress One-Click. This is just to fool the system that there’s a WordPress at oldsite.com. Now future WordPress one-click updates can be applied to the new location since you just replaced an existing One Click with a different one-click.
- Rename the new WordPress oldsite.com to something like oldsite.com.wp and then move test.oldsite.com to oldsite.com.
- Rename test.oldsite.com to oldsite.com
- Create an empty test.oldsite.com folder (or just delete the subdomain via the panel if you’re not going to keep it)
- Go to the wp-admin for your site and change the URL Settings