Transferring a 'live' domain

Does it matter where a mirrored domain is located? I’ve been working on a frameless, mostly tableless version of a ‘live’ framed site hosted elsewhere. I did all my work at DH in a subdomain of one of the several domains I have here. Now I want to move the ‘live’ site to DH.

Since I’m updating the site at the same time, I don’t need/want to move the actual files from the old host, I just want DNS to start pointing at DH and serving up the site from here. Seamlessly would be nice.

Can I just add the ‘live’ domain name to my account via the panel, set it up as mirrored, and point it at the subdomain I already developed the new version in? URLs have to be transparent of course. So that if

www.original.domain --> sub.some.domain then

www.orginal.domain/feedback/index.php

should display that URL in the address bar and serve up what’s found in

sub.some.domain/feedback/index.php

That’s the sense of what I got from reading the kb article on transferring, but I really want to be sure I understand this before I humiliate myself by busting a very demanding club’s web site :slight_smile:

Tx for any reassurances or warnings.

[quote]Can I just add the ‘live’ domain name to my account via the panel, set it up as mirrored, and point it at the subdomain I already developed the new version in? URLs have to be transparent of course. So that if

www.original.domain --> sub.some.domain then

www.orginal.domain/feedback/index.php

should display that URL in the address bar and serve up what’s found in

sub.some.domain/feedback/index.php
[/quote]
That’s what I have done and works OK.

I think the only drawback is you might not want the same site accessible from two different domains at the same time. I think if you intend to remove sub.some.domain from service though, you have to switch www.original.domain to fully hosted, then copy all the files from sub.some.domain’s document root to www.original.domain’s document root, then when that checks out OK remove sub.some.domain. I haven’t tried this yet myself though.

Hmmm. I wonder if there’s any way around that? Would an immediate redirect on someone coming into the subdomain directly create an infinite loop? wheeee!

Is there an .htaccess trick or mod rewrite rule or other method to prevent the subdomain from being crawled as a subdomain, but be indexed normally through the mirror?

I was sort of hoping to avoid actually moving the files. I wonder what would happen if I just renamed the directory at the shell level from sub.some.domain to original.domain and then set it to be fully hosted?

The reason I worry about moving the files (or indeed, the above idea) is in case somewhere I’ve forgotten there might be a hardcoded url that references the subdomain.

[quote]I was sort of hoping to avoid actually moving the files. I wonder what would happen if I just renamed the directory at the shell level from sub.some.domain to original.domain and then set it to be fully hosted?

[/quote]

Actually yes, I guess. I’m not doing any shell access, but even with the Control Panel, you can easily re-assign the mirroring domain to fully hosted by pointing it to that particular directory which the sub-domain resides.

Yours Truly, nameslave

Buying and selling domain names since 1997

Right you are…that’s even easier! I’m puzzled at what to do to keep the subdomain invisible to crawlers etc but still use it for mirroring. I was doing some work on setting up paypal for some club stuff and was really surprised to get an order out of the blue. Google had indexed my ‘development’ domain and the fellow followed a series of links to find my test page, whereupon he placed an order. Oy! Well at least I know that part works :slight_smile: I put no-index, no-follow meta tags in the development site headers but obviously I’ll want to turn that off when the “real” domain is being served. I thought it would be easy to do this mirroring stuff but it’s turning out to have more ramifications than I thought. Robots: can’t live with 'em, can’t live without 'em :slight_smile:

I don’t know about an .htaccess fix, but since you’re using PHP for your site, couldn’t you place your meta tags in an include() file that you can switch after you go live?