Transfering

i’m thinking of transferring to dreamhost because i had horrible problems with “This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota” on my blog/site which is hosted by bluehost.

what are the cpu limits for dreamhost?

and when transferring, i have these two options from dreamhost… what is the difference between them?

1. I already own a domain, I just want to host it with you (you can still register a free domain later)!

2. I already own a domain, I want to host it AND transfer the registration for free!
    (Please change your nameservers (to ns1.dreamhost.com, etc…) before the transfer.
    Domains must be unlocked and not created in the last 60 days to transfer.)
    Auth code for transfer (get from current registrar):____________

There are no hard-and-fast CPU limits on DreamHost, but I doubt there are significant practical differences between amount of CPU utilization you can have at BlueHost compared with DreamHost. If your site impacts your shared webhost, it will have this impact wherever it is. What are you hosting, how much traffic are you getting, and how much CPU is it using, peak and average?

[quote]and when transferring, i have these two options from dreamhost… what is the difference between them?

1. I already own a domain, I just want to host it with you (you can still register a free domain later)!

2. I already own a domain, I want to host it AND transfer the registration for free![/quote]
    The only differences between those two are whether you want to move your domain registration to DreamHost or to leave your domain registration at BlueHost. Will BlueHost let you leave your registration with them when you don’t have a hosting account with them?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

You can transfer your domain to dreamhost, so you will have One more year validity for this domain, included in the hosting package

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

It sounds like you have great number of visitors of your website. I’ve not heard of anything about CPU quota in DH. But all the computers have CPU limits. The CPU can’t run beyond that. If your site consume too much resource in shared server, it will definitely affect the performance.

You can check DH’s new feature http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DreamHost_PS Maybe it will help you a bit with your problem.

For you domain, you can either host it or transfer the registration. If you just host it, the domain is still registered with bluehost. You pay to bluehost to renew your domain.

If you transfer the domain to DH, the registration of domain will be transfered to DH. It will be then registered with DH. You pay to DH to renew your domain.

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

I am hosting a blog and get about 100 visits a day… I don’t know how much cpu it’s using and I don’t know where to find that out actually… but I can tell you that I haven’t had an issue with this for the two years with BlueHost but things went really bad all of a sudden in the past four months. I’ve been getting that error message every three minutes! I’ve done some research and those with the same problem were in fact BlueHost users and they said that once they switched hosts they stopped having that problem.

Hmm. Interesting. 100 visits a day doesn’t seem excessive, assuming you’re not using too many aggressive plugins.

Did your blog seem slow when it did run?

BTW, what error message were you getting?

FWIW, dreamhost offers a 97 day money back guarantee, so you can try them out before making a permanent committment. You can’t get your time invested back so you’re doing the right thing in researching this beforehand!

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Plugins’ attempts to deal with rampant comment spam might contribute to even a lightly "visited’ blog crashing a server. :wink:

–rlparker

I took a look at the BlueHost forum. Users are getting the CPU/suspension notice just by running a backup of an SQL database.
While you may wish/need to optimize your site some to “play well with others” (or upgrade to a PS), you will probably be happier here at DH.

IMHO, the CPU/suspension mechanism is a great technical solution for shared hosting, but a lousy solution in terms of customer satisfaction. DH will take action against a site if it impacts other users, but does not impose an arbitrary limit.

Regards,
Rudy