Transfering domains

Hi!

Im new to DH and Im having some difficulties transfering my domain.
I added new domain in “manage domains” and the panel warned me to change DNS for this domain in order to make the transfer. My question is next: Do i have to change DNS settings on DH or is it enough just to put ns1.dreamhost.com … to my current domain hoster? But then I wonder how will the domain know which account on DH requested it.

all advices and answers are very welcome
Matej

All you need to do is change the nameservers.

The fact that you managed to add the domain to your account means that only your account has that domain, so there’s no problem.

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color]

That’s part of the wonder of a DNS system. When you added the domain the panel it put an entry into the DNS that points between your domain and where the files are stored. So when someone goes to www.example.com it first checks the whois record to see where the name servers for the domain are. Then it asks the name servers on where to go to find the site.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Great!

Then all I have to do is to write DNS (ns1.dreamhost.com,
ns2.dreamhost.com,ns3.dreamhost.com) to my current hoster and this is it…When my hosters opens the domain it will be automaticlly transfered to DH. I keep old subscription and when it is over I pay DH for one year domain hosting. Is this correct?

At this point the domain still points at their server. But when nameservers will be changed it will point to DH files on this domain. I hoped i understood it right.

thanks for your support
Matej

That is correct.

[quote]Then all I have to do is to write DNS (ns1.dreamhost.com,
ns2.dreamhost.com,ns3.dreamhost.com) to my current hoster and this is it…When my hosters opens the domain it will be automaticlly transfered to DH. I keep old subscription and when it is over I pay DH for one year domain hosting. Is this correct?[/quote]
Changing nameservers doesn’t transfer the domain; the domain registration remains at whichever registrar you registered it with.

As you have already signed up for hosting with DH, you don’t need to pay anything extra to DH.

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color]