Transfering domain/subdomains thru dreamhost

So I’ve decided to take advantage of my free domain registration thru DH and let my old domain (registered elsewhere) expire. However, i have quite a few people hosted on my old site (ingenuitous.com). These are all hosted thru DH, and are all at *.ingenuitous.com adresses. How do I transfer the domains for those sites to the new address (st0len.net)? Since the ftp and storage all seems to be through cerritos.dreamhost.com, it seems like none of the FTP loging stuff should be effected.

basically I want the easiest way for the sites formerly pointed at *.ingenuitous.com to now be *.st0len.net

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

actually you can keep your previous domain name. just transfer it to DH. you may want to refer to wiki Domain Transfer However, there will be a downtime during the transferring.

If you wanna use the new domain name, I guess you have to add those subdomains manually. It is gonna be a lot of work.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

[quote]basically I want the easiest way for the sites formerly pointed at *.ingenuitous.com to now be *.st0len.net
[/quote]
If I understand your situation correctly, you currently have ingenuitous.com and all sub-domains hosted here at DreamHost, but have the domain registered elsewhere, and you wish to register st0len.net here at DreamHost and transfer all the sub-domains?

If so, then probably the easiest method would be to simply remove the existing ingenuitous.com sub-domains from the hosting system, then rename all the web directories from ‘subdomain.ingenuitous.com’ to ‘subdomain…st0len.net’ before adding the new st0len.net sub-domains to the system one-by-one via the panel.

Of-course, you could skip the renaming part and simply specify the correct web-directory when adding the sub-domains.

Edit: I should add that if you wish to do as Nathan suggested and transfer the old domain to DreamHost, the cost of the transfer (and 12 months extension) will be covered by your existing ‘domain-credit’.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

if the previous domain name is registered in DH, you should follow what mark suggested. It is the easiest way.

btw, if the domain name is not registered in DH, you do not have to transfer to DH, you can also host them in DH by setting up the DNS.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

The original domain name is not registered here at DreamHost, the OP specifically stated that it was registered elsewhere. However, it does sound like the original domain is hosted at DreamHost.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Mark is correct. The domain for ingenuitous.com was bought thru domainmonger.com, but DH is my hosting company. the registration on ingenuitous.com ran out, so I decided to take advantage of my free domain registration through DH and so I registered st0len.net. All I want to do, if possible, is make it so that all the sites from ingenuitous (ingenuitous.com and about 7 or 8 name.ingenuitous.com sites) to now be st0len.net and name.st0len.net

You will need to contact support and request they remove the domain name from their system then you can add it and setup the mirrors or forwards. This happened with me, where I purchased a domain that was already hosted at dreamhost, it is still in their system.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]

Then all you need to do is follow the steps below;

Add st0len.net to the DreamHost system via the panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain (if it has not already been added).

Rename the web-directories for the ingenuitous.com sub-domains using the shell or your FTP client. For example; ‘example.ingenuitous.com’ becomes ‘example.st0len.net

Add the st0len.net sub-domains one-by-one to the DreamHost hosting system via the panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain.

As I said in my previous post, if you do not want to rename the web-directories, you can simply specify the correct web-directories for the sub-domains when adding them via the panel.

Good luck.

Mark

I don’t see why he needs to contact support, as his previous domain name (registered elsewhere) has expired and his new domain name has only just been registered with DreamHost.

Mark