Transfer

I’m following the steps on the wiki to transfer from old host and old registrar to dreamhost. I created a mirror (mclear.dreamhosters.com) and all it shows is an “Index of /” page, but no files were transferred. I haven’t done this before…did I miss something? If I go to mclear.dreamhosters.com, it should be mirroring mclear.org, correct?

Thanks,
Jon

A domain here isn’t going to mirror one that’s hosted somewhere else.

This wiki page should be helpful in getting setup.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Which page on the wiki are you trying to follow?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

That page was what I was trying to follow.

“That” is not a page, and doesn’t tell us at all what wiki page you were trying to follow. :frowning:

That said, from your first post, it looks like you are missing that you have to transfer your files (content) from your old host. Transferring your registration and/or hosting doesn’t “mirror” anything - you still need to physically “move” your data into the appropriate directory on the DreamHost server (generally, the directory yourdomain.tld).

If you want to set it up on “mclear.dreamhosters.com”, then you need to place the files that represent your site in that directory. :wink:

–rlparker

Ah! I think he meant the Transfer your site to us wiki page that Seiler mentioned.

The two step that you’ve missed are:

1. Backup all of your website files, databases, emails from your old host.
  2. Then, log in to your DreamHost FTP account using your servers name (servername.dreamhost.com) which should now be setup with your Domain (Hosting) and you will upload the website files to us.

BTW, just to confirm with the OP. There are two different sets of instructions on that page. Are you trying to follow the more complicated ones for “I have my Registration and Hosting at the same company but want to set up the site here before I transfer it”, right? Not the simpler ones under “I have my Registration and Hosting at the same company and just want to sign up for a new account”?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I think you are right (for some reason, I just didn’t see Seiler’s post) :wink: .

And, hopefully, your post has got him on the right path! :wink:

–rlparker

Bob, you pointed out that the OP still needed to transfer the site content. I just put it in the context of the instructions that they were trying to follow.

OP: we’re just all trying to do whatever it takes to help you get your site up and running!