Transfer of site from Dreamhost to Dreamhost

Six months back, not knowing much about domains and web-hosting, my friend hosted on Dreamhost my site http://rubylearning.com

Now with some experience in my pocket, I have bought web-space on Dreamhost and would now like to host http://rubylearning.com on my own web-space.

How is this done? The Dreamhost support help has not been very clear on this. All help most appreciated.

I don’t think Support can copy everything over for you, but someone may correct me or provide an easier solution.

1. Backup all of your mail if you’re using IMAP. If you use POP, do one last mail check.

2. Backup the rubylearning.com directory in your friend’s account and restore it to your own directory as rubylearning.sav

1. Backup your database and then copy it into your home directory:
  1. Have your friend delete the domain from his account.

4a) Create a Fully Hosted Domain in your own account.
4b) Restore your domain backup

5a) Create a new database for your domain
5b) Restore your database:

1. Re-create any e-mail addresses you have
    -Scott

Transferring the files and database would be just the same as if you were transferring from any other host. The best way would be to log in via the shell and use wget. You can set up a new database and just import the old one. THen it should just be a case of changing the config files to the new database settings.

Using the domain may be a bit more of a problem, you should be able to just remove the domain from the old account (under manage domains) and add it to the new one. The domain will still be registered under the old account but should be available to use in your new one.

Transferring the actual registration could be a problem if both of you used a promo code and you may need to contact support to allow this.

$97 DISCOUNT with [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color]
More codes

[quote]a. The domain will still be registered under the old account but should be available to use in your new one.

b. Transferring the actual registration could be a problem if both of you used a promo code and you may need to contact support to allow this. [/quote]
Sorry for being so dumb, but I did not understand the above two points. Can you give an example? Incidentally, I used a promo code to get my web space at Dreamhost.

Satish Talim
Ruby Study Notes

Don’t worry about transferring registration. Your friend already registered it with NET 4 INDIA LIMITED. If you’d like, you can request a Domain Registration Transfer, but it’s not necessary in order to host your own domain.

-Scott

[quote]
b. Transferring the actual registration could be a problem if both of you used a promo code and you may need to contact support to allow this.[/quote]

[quote]
Sorry for being so dumb, but I did not understand the above two points. Can you give an example? Incidentally, I used a promo code to get my web space at Dreamhost.[/quote]

It means exactly what it says. If your friend signed up to DreamHost using a promo code and you also signed up using a promo code, then you cannot host your domain name under your account. You’re welcome to contact support and explain your situation however, but they’ll ask you to pay the full amount for your account (the amount owed without using a promo code) before they’ll allow you to use that domain name under your account.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Actually, I think you meant to say “Transferring the actual hosting could be a problem if both of you used a promo code and you may need to contact support to allow this.”

Regarding:

Have you actually tried this or heard directly that this is true? I had always hoped that they would make an exception for situations where both accounts would remain active and it was obvious that it wasn’t a scheme to transfer a site from a discounted account to another discounted account and that they could verify that the accounts were held in different names - though I have no evidence for this, even anecdotal… :slight_smile:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yeah, it came up a few months ago on these boards. Father had an account, son now signed up and wanted to move a domain over - but had to pay full price to do it. DH enforces this policy so that people can’t keep signing up with a promo code and transferring domains between to keep hosting costs low.

As for keeping both accounts active, what proof can you provide DH that this will be so? I think that’s their problem - you can say one thing, and turn around and do an other.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

[quote]As for keeping both accounts active, what proof can you provide DH that this will be so? I think that’s their problem - you can say one thing, and turn around and do an other. [quote]
Well, they could make sure both accounts were prepaid for two years or something like that.

That’s too bad about the policy, though I guess it makes sense from the marketing perspective in that promo codes are meant to entice new customers who might otherwise not consider DreamHost. People who are “already” hosting here and who are “won over” don’t need the enticement. :slight_smile:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

[quote]Well, they could make sure both accounts were prepaid for two years or something like that.

That’s too bad about the policy, though I guess it makes sense from the marketing perspective in that promo codes are meant to entice new customers who might otherwise not consider DreamHost.[/quote]
Good points there, lensman! It is a bit frustrating though in situations where I have a client who knew nothing about the web, and therefore I hosted their domain under my account for a couple of years (for which DH made no extra money :wink: ) and that client now wants an account of his own. The policy really only succeeds in preventing DH from acquiring another paying customer, if the client doesn’t want to sign-up at full price (and most are reticent given other deals out there). End result is that DH only loses the new “paying” customer - my account isn’t going to change (as It wouldn’t if the let the customer transfer).

I understand why they are doing it; I guess the fraud level must have been very high to have this policy make sense.

–rlparker

Thanks guys, you’ll have clarified a lot of things.

I did write to support and here’s what they said -

[quote]Unfortunately this would not currently be possible because you entered a promotional code when signing up for service. If you’d like to be able to host ‘rubylearning.com’ under this new account, we’ll need to remove the promotional code and have you pay the difference of $50. You’d also have to pay for any domain registrations that you’ve used past the 1 free one that you would receive had you not used the ‘555’ promotional code.
Sorry for the inconvenience.[/quote]
And here’s why -

Satish Talim
Ruby Study Notes

At least you can still pretty much have full control over your domain, even if it is currently under your friend’s account:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Account_Privileges

-Scott

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Account_Privileges

Scott, that’s good news. Thanks.

Satish Talim
Ruby Study Notes