Transfer Mail (I'm so close!)

Hello,
I read the wiki entry about importing e-mail from an old ISP to my new dreamhost account. I am SOOOO close to succeeding but have hit a road block. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Here’s my story…

I currently have a managed box that I host approx 90 sites on. I am going to be shutting down that box on the old ISP and move all the clients to shared accounts with dreamhost. The one thing stopping me was the fact that I did not know how to transfer web mail. So, I did some reading and have been trying to use mailutil. Here is a log of what I am getting when I attempt to transfer one of my mailboxes… (I removed some of the lines to keep it clean)

[thetis]$ mailutil -d -v transfer {84.40.22.224/novalidate-cert/user=mike@avisordesigns.com}mail/ {mail.bobgrahamauto.com/novalidate-cert/user=m9493635}/
Listing mailboxes…
00000004 LIST / ""
00000004 OK LIST completed
warning: unable to get destination hierarchy delimiter!
00000002 LIST mail/ *

• LIST (\NoSelect) “/” mail/
  • LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) “/” mail/sent-mail
  • LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) “/” mail/Sent
  • LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) “/” mail/saved-messages
  • LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) “/” mail/Trash
  • LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) “/” mail/Drafts
    00000002 OK LIST completed
    Copying {84.40.22.224:143/imap/novalidate-cert/user=“mike@avisordesigns.com”}mail/sent-mail
    => {mail.bobgrahamauto.com:143/imap/tls/novalidate-cert/user=“m9493635”}/mail/sent-mail
    [Reusing connection to 84.40.22.224/user=“mike@avisordesigns.com”]
    [Mailbox is empty]
    00000005 Create /mail/sent-mail
    00000005 NO Invalid mailbox name.
    Invalid mailbox name.
    [secure.avisordesigns.com IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection]
    00000006 LOGOUT
  • BYE Courier-IMAP server shutting down
    [Courier-IMAP server shutting down]
    00000006 OK LOGOUT completed
    [thetis]$

So it lists the correct mailboxes on my old server (avisordesigns.com) but it can not create the hierarchy on the new server (bobgrahamauto.com). I am assuming it has to do with the very last part of the command I use:

mailutil -d -v transfer {84.40.22.224/novalidate-cert/user=mike@avisordesigns.com}mail/ {mail.bobgrahamauto.com/novalidate-cert/user=m9493635}/

I have tried a bunch of ideas to have at the end of the command (i.e. /mail/) but none work. Please help!!!

• Mike

No ideas, huh? :frowning:

user=m9493635

Don’t think you can access mnnnnnn mailbox from shell.

So you need shell users for mail you want to transfer like that. Did you ask support if they could help, like if you give them a tar file for each mail account?

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just shot DH an e-mail begging for some help. I don’t want to send them tar files for each mailbox because I am going to be moving a lot of accounts and would like to be able to do it myself heh. Thanks again.

• Mike