Transfer hostnames/databases between servers?

wordpress

Hi all. I was wondering if there is any way to transfer a single hostname and database to a different sever, either through Dreamhost or phpMyAdmin? I just set up a new wordpress blog but I didn’t think to create the hostname and database first, so that I could choose which server it was on. I have a server that I use strictly for blogs - mine and those of the people I host - and that’s where I want this new hostname and database to be, but it’s not.

Any help?

If you mean transfer an already hosted domain name from one Dreamhost account/server onto a separate Dreamhost account/server then your best bet is to tell Tech Support via the Panel what you have done and ask them to make the move for you at an admin level.

Attempting to host an already used DH domain name on another account might lead to questions being raised. The move could be flagged as if you’re signing up on multiple accounts to play the bargains multiple times and cause you unnecessary procedural delays in the transfer.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

If this is all within the same account, all those SQL host names point to the same server. Just go to the panel under Goodies -> Manage MySQL and Add New Hostname.

In the old days, databases used to get scattered across servers. A couple of years ago, DreamHost changed it so a user got all their databases assigned to the same server.

-Scott

@ sXi: No, I’m not talking about domains at all. I am referring to mySQL hostnames and databases.

@sdayman/Scott: Thanks for your reply, but it didn’t really help. It is all within the same account, but I have two different mySQL servers. I don’t know how or why, but I do.

For the sake of this discussion, let’s call them floppy and rufus. Floppy contains all the hostnames and databases I use on my sites for general things - basically any installed programs that require mySQL EXCEPT Wordpress. Rufus contains all the hostnames and databases I use strictly for Wordpress: my blog and the blogs of the friends that I host on my site.

Is this making sense? When I created a new Wordpress blog yesterday, I forgot to create the hostname and database separately so that I could choose which server it went under (by clicking Add New Hostname under that particular server). Therefore, the new blog was automatically assigned to the floppy server instead of rufus.

What I want to know is if there is any way to transfer that single hostname and its corresponding database from floppy to rufus?

I hope this makes sense because I don’t think the people who have replied so far really understood what I was asking.

Ahhh! They aren’t ‘servers’, just customisable links.

eg. mysql.domain.com and sql.domain.com if attached to the same Main Account actually point to the same exact place. You can mix and match them whenever you want. Just change the address in your new script’s config to keep your system in order :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Bummer, ok, then you can copy the database over:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Migrate_MySQL

-Scott

Ok, let me try one more time. It may be that you’re understanding, but I’m not. Here’s a walkthrough of my situation - maybe if you try it with your own account we can come to a better understanding of each other:

I sign in to my Dreamhost web panel. Using the links on the left side, I click on Goodies, then on Manage MySQL. When that screen comes up, this is what I see (names have been changed for security/privacy issues):

Header: Manage MySQL. Then there’s a blurb under MySQL Database Management that explains the page. The first line says:

“Create, edit, or delete any MySQL databases hosted on your DreamHost account.”

After that is a button that says MySQL Recycle. Below that is something like this:

floppy:dogears MySQL Server
Hostnames for this MySQL server:
(button)Add New Hostname(button)

sugar.sd.com
spice.sd.com
uhoh.um.net

Database(s) on this server:
sugar
spice
uhoh

This is one server. After this listing, I show the following:

rufus:mypet MySQL Server
Hostnames for this MySQL server:
(button)Add New Hostname(button)

soda.um.net
chips.um.net
candy.um.net

Database(s) on this server:
soda
chips
candy

I am wanting to move uhoh.um.net and its database ‘uhoh’ from floppy:dogears to rufus:mypet. Does this make more sense now?

@Scott: Well what you suggested may indeed be a solution. I wanted something that I could do instantly, without having to delete anything. I’ve already figured out that it would be quite simple to just delete the hostname and database and start over under the server I wanted. The only problem with that is that Dreamhost requires a five-day wait before you can use the same name for a database you’ve deleted. And I don’t want to have to wait for five days but I don’t want to use a different name either.

Thanks to both of you for your help. I guess the real issue is just my OCDness about how things are set up. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll either live with it or start over.