Transfer domain

I need to create a website for a friend. I would like host the domain on my Dreamhost account for testing purposes.
When it’s ready I would like to transfer the domain (and the content of the site) to his Dreamhost account.
Is this possible and if so, how ?

Thanks for helping !

It may be easier to create a test sub-domain under your account for testing and leave (or register) the ‘real’ domain under your friends account. Then just transfer the files / databases when testing is complete, making any required changes to configuration files.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I had a similar question:
A new client has an existing site that was started by “a friend’s brother,” and it’s been unfinished for a year.
The client wants to know what information to get from the guy so I can finish it.
The site is also with Dreamhost, but I don’t know if the client trusts the guy to maintain the current hosting account.

I am not sure I fully understand your question.

Is the DreamHost account controlled by your client, or the ‘friends brother’?

Is the intention to finish the site under the existing account, or to transfer the site to another (DreamHost?) hosting account?

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Wow, thanks for the immediate response.

I think the DreamHost account is controlled by the ‘friends brother’.

The intention is to keep it with DreamHost, but probably to transfer it to another DreamHost hosting account (either the client’s or mine).

OK, you are going to need access to the other account, so you can download the content/database etc. Depending on the size of the content and the speed of your Internet connection, it may be faster to use something like wget to directly transfer things between the old and new accounts.

As for the domain name itself, if this is not registered in your client’s name, then you will need to transfer that. Also, there are some restrictions concerning moving domains from one DreamHost account to another, so you will probably need to contact DreamHost support and have them transfer the hosting for the domain between accounts.

Mark

Okay, will do.
Thanks!

No problem, good luck with the transfer, I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Mark