Total absolute beginner and utterly bewildered

I’ve had a Wordpress.com blog for several years and have managed it without any problems.

Then I was advised to start a new site using Wordpress.org and finding a host and buying a domain name and downloading the Wordpress app.

Now I’ve done all those things, I can’t move any further. I don’t know where to go or what to do next.

After downloading the Wordpress software the WP support file says: Unzip the package in an empty directory and upload everything. Where to? Where do I upload everything? How?

When I click on the one-click install under goodies, and select the Wordpress app custom installation (the only option), it asks for a URL. I enter my domain name and get a “Whoops there was an error, invalid path” message. What URL should I put?

I’ve chosen a hosting plan and paid for it (money debited from account), but in Manage Domains my domain name is shown as being without hosting. What have I paid for then?

As somebody totally new to all this I understood setting the blog up was a simple one-step process, but it’s completely over my head, I feel very foolish, and am wondering if there is a step-by-step for dummies into how to set up a Wordpress blog on Dreamhost, or whether I’ve made a big mistake and this is too technical for me.

Grateful if anybody can give me some guidance, please.

And Happy New Year.

You need to turn on hosting for your domain. manage domains->fully host. then do the one-click install.

Hi Bobocat

Thank you so much. Thanks to your help I have now made a start. I enjoy learning things (keeps an ageing brain active :D), and am looking forward to getting to grips with this new challenge.

Happy New Year.

Susie