TinyTinyRSS Update Error

I’m not sure if anyone here even uses TinyTinyRSS; but I just updated and am having a bit of a problem.

Update daemon is not running

I want to start out by saying, I’m sorry for having to ask this. I’ve attempted to search the forum but the answers I’ve seen are years old. I am not sure they apply since this error just started with the most recent update. I just updated to v1.7.9 and I’m now seeing this error. When I click on the box I see:

[quote]Update daemon is enabled in configuration, but daemon process is not running, which prevents all feeds from updating. Please start the daemon process or contact instance owner.
Last update: 1970.01.01, 0:00[/quote]

In the Preferences / System / Log I see:

E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:10 E_WARNING (2) classes/dlg.php:73 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:09 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:09 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:09 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:09 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:09 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:08 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:08 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:08 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:08 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:08 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:02 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:02 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:02 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:02 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:02 E_WARNING (2) classes/dlg.php:73 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:01 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:01 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:01 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:01 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:01 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:01 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:01 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:00 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 17:00 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:59 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:59 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:59 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:59 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:42 E_WARNING (2) classes/dlg.php:73 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:42 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:42 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:42 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:42 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:42 E_WARNING (2) classes/dlg.php:73 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:41 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:41 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:41 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:41 E_WARNING (2) include/functions.php:2136 file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory admin 16:41

For what it’s worth, I keep thinking that it’s a file permissions thing so in the lock/ directory I see:

drwxrwxrwx  2 q pg1416808 4096 May 19 21:53 .
drwxr-xr-x 18 q pg1416808 4096 May 19 19:15 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 q pg1416808    0 May 13 02:34 .empty
-rwxr-xr-x  1 q pg1416808   31 May 13 02:34 .htaccess
-rw-r--r--  1 q pg1416808    6 May 19 21:53 update_daemon.lock

I haven’t had any issues up until this most recent update.

Any help would be appreciated.

I actually use it :slight_smile:

I don’t use the daemon, though, I have it running via a cron job instead.

Let me sound really stupid for a second.

I am an ex-google reader user. The one thing I’ve never had with TinyTinyRSS was it updating when I don’t have the browser open. I think what YOU have does that, right?

How can I fix my error and set it up like you do?

Thanks for the reply.

You don’t sound stupid :slight_smile: You sound like someone who’s new to a system.

You are correct, my TT-RSS install updates itself every 15 minutes. I did this by using the cron directions here: http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/UpdatingFeeds

Ok.

So that is actually your cron command? I shouldn’t change the /usr/bin/php to /usr/local/php5/bin/php

Also in the config.php do I change:

define(‘SIMPLE_UPDATE_MODE’, true);

to false, because the cron will do it?

Change /usr/bin/php to /usr/local/php5/bin/php - I grabbed that example from http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/UpdatingFeeds so it’s the ‘default’ php location most people use :slight_smile: Also that’s what it looks like in crontab. If you’re using panel’s cron (see https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tab=goodies&subtab=cron& ) then you want to the “Command to run:” to be this:

And yes, I would change simple update mode to false.

hah. I should have posted this last night.

I think my biggest problem was, that error in the bottom right of the screen that just stayed saying the “Update Daemon isn’t running”. I just had to clear the /lock folder.

Set the cronjob

Doneeeeeeeeeeeee

thank you so much for your help.

RM

Yeah, sorry, at about 4pm yesterday I started having the epic dumbs and went to lie down. :slight_smile: Glad you got it working!