Thunderbird ate my inbox

Last night I used an old PC that I rarely use to check my email and all the messages in my inbox got deleted.

I use thunderbird with IMAP.

I thought I’d be able to recover the automatic backup (2 hour, 2 day etc) - but I discovered that they no longer exist :frowning:

It’s not a complete disaster as I only lost the top level inbox but it’s unfortunate.

Is there any hope for recovering my inbox or am I SOL?

If the structure and mail is still on the old PC you can sync it back up.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

I believe sXi meant the “new” PC, not the “old” one that ate it up.

I don’t think there ever were backups of any sort available for email.

-Scott

As soon as a logged in with my regular PC, it sync’d all the emails into oblivion. That’s actually how I discovered the problem this morning.

The old pc never successfully sync’d. It still had messages from 6 months ago and the newer ones never appeared.

But you made me think of another possible solution - I might have a copy on my linux partition.

I’ve never been all that clear how IMAP does a sync. As it’s just the Inbox, you could try (on your Linux partition) going offline before launching mail and copy all Inbox messages to a new mailbox, then go online and sync.

Not having this happen to me, I’ve wondered to to force a sync to restore lost messages when they reside on another computer.

-Scott

I use Thunderbird on one email account here. It both pulls mail from the server and pushes mail from the PC to the server. When creating a new folder within TB a new folder is also created on the server too. The mail account I’m talking about may be the older “shell” variety - unsure if that makes a difference.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost