Three-headed horror: dselect, ksplice, amanda

apps

I’m trying to install a package: Amanda Backup Software

I’m not that familiar with dpkg and dselect but I ran them, and a whole bunch of other stuff was trying to get installed too. So there are number of questions that I have:

1. The one I most care about is, has anyone had success in installing amanda and using it? What’s the best way to install a third party package? I tried ‘dpkg -i <file.deb>’

2. How do I get dselect just to install a specific package and to skip over all the “suggested” packages?

3. How do I get rid of this error?

Failed to fetch http://www.ksplice.com/apt/dists/etch/ksplice/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2 Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2) Failed to fetch http://www.ksplice.com/apt/dists/etch/ksplice/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2 Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2) Reading package lists... Done E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

1. I’ve never tried personally, but installing the package using dpkg -i should work. However, you may be interested to know that we already back up DreamHost PS guests ourselves, so there’s no pressing need to run your own backups.

2. Do not ever, ever, ever use dselect. It’s ancient and seriously broken. Use apt-get or aptitude instead; either one will give you more control over dependencies.

3. That error is harmless, but you can get rid of it by deleting /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ksplice.list. (Don’t worry, it’s not actually needed for anything.)

I’m surprised Andrew tells you not to worry about backups since you should trust nobody. As in, you know you have backups if you do them yourself, and should DreamHost (or your business with them) should disintegrate, you still have your backups. I’ve also never seen DreamHost guarantee that your data is backed up. They try, but it doesn’t always always always happen.

Re: backups

The main point of the backup would be for us to allow our clients to have access to their web app, even if Dreamhost goes down (which has happened before). We’re planning to back up to S3 and then host an alternative site (something like www.myuniquetemporarybackup.com/whatever) where, if needed, we could do a recovery there and point our client there. This is beyond the scope of what Dreamhost offers for backups (plus if DH explodes and they have our backups how could we get our backups? :))