Thread-enabled perl breaks Interchange

apps

Yesterday’s upgrade to Debian Sarge brought thread-enabled Perl 5.8. Interchange ecommerce package will not work with thread-enabled Perl. I’m a self-learned web-hacker, a sophisticated user maybe, but not a programmer (on shared-hosting account). Besides going to OSCommerce, how can I make Interchange work (i.e. how do I downgrade the Perl?). If I have to “roll-my-own” Perl 5.6, what is the Dreamhost way, and can you point me to a detailed, step-wise tutorial to do so? Better, will Dreamhost do this for me, I bet many others have similar problem.

From Interchange FAQ:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/interchange-doc-5.2.0/icfaq.html#Cameron Prince’s local Perl installation how-to

This is a nice “roll your own local perl” tutorial…

18.1. Cameron Prince’s local Perl installation how-to

1. Login as user. In this example, we’ll call the user bob. Bob’s home directory is /home/bob.
  2. Get the perl tarball and extract it in /home/bob. (tar -xzvf perl-5.6.0.tar.gz)
  3. Create a directory for the local perl. (mkdir /home/bob/local-perl)
  4. Compile perl.
  5. cd perl-5.6.0
  6. sh Configure
  7. Choose all the defaults until you get to: “Directories to use for library searches?” Here you want to enter the new local perl path, as well as the defaults. So you should enter something like: /home/bob/local-perl/lib /usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
  8. Continue choosing defaults till you get to: “Any additional ld flags (NOT including libraries)?” This should be: -L/home/bob/local-perl/lib
  9. Continue choosing defaults till you get to: “Installation prefix to use? (~name ok)” This should be: /home/bob/local-perl
  10. Choose all defaults till you get to: “Directory /home/bob/local-perl/bin doesn’t exist. Use that name anyway?” Enter y.
  11. Continue choosing defaults till you get to: “Do you want to install perl as /usr/bin/perl?” Enter n.
  12. Continue choosing defaults till you get to: “Directory /home/bob/local-perl/bin doesn’t exist. Use that name anyway?” Enter y.
  13. Directory /home/bob/local-perl/bin doesn’t exist. Use that name anyway? Enter y.
  14. Continue taking defaults till you return to a prompt.
  15. make
  16. make test
  17. make install
  18. /home/bob/local-perl/bin/perl -v
    You should see: This is perl, v5.6.0
  19. edit /home/bob/.bash_rc
    Change: PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
    To: PATH=/home/bob/local-perl/bin:$PATH:$HOME/bin
  20. Logout and log back in.
  21. which perl
    You should see: ~/local-perl/bin/perl or /home/bob/local-perl/bin/perl
  22. perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Interchange’
    Keep running this until you see:

MD5 is up to date.
MIME::Base64 is up to date.
URI is up to date.
Net::FTP is up to date.
MIME::Base64 is up to date.
Digest::MD5 is up to date.
HTML::Tagset is up to date.
HTML::Parser is up to date.
HTML::HeadParser is up to date.
LWP is up to date.
Term::ReadKey is up to date.
Term::ReadLine::Perl is up to date.
Business::UPS is up to date.
SQL::Statement is up to date.
Storable is up to date.
DBI is up to date.
Safe::Hole is up to date.

You may need to get the modules via ftp and install them by hand. For instance, during the test used to create this document, I had to get URI and LWP and install by hand before everything reported that it was up to date. To do this, follow these steps:

1. ftp ftp.cpan.org
  2. cd /CPAN/modules/by-module/URI
  3. bin
  4. get URI-1.10.tar.gz
  5. quit
  6. tar -xzvf URI-1.10.tar.gz
  7. cd URI-1.10
  8. perl Makefile.pl
  9. make
  10. make test
  11. make install

Use the same basic steps for any module not properly installed by using perl -MCPAN -e ‘install Bundle::Interchange’

Now, install Interchange as normal.

Can’t get my underwear on straight with all those damned labels. Whatever happened to one inside back label?

If compiling a local perl is anything like compiling a custom php, perhaps DreamHost’s own knowledge base is a better resource . (I haven’t tried either).
Compiling a custom PHP:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2538

Can’t get my underwear on straight with all those damned labels. Whatever happened to one inside back label?

Reply from DH Support:

[quote]Hello,
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to install your own version of perl on
our servers. Sorry about that. There’s really no way around this.
If you need anything else, please let us know.
Thanks!
Brian[/quote]
While I’m not totally convinced of this, I respect their opinion, as I’m on a shared server, and fairly clueless w/r to perl.