This is what has happened to us

I know many feel that DreamHost is great; on the other hand, we have had trouble with them.

We are a business, and operate as a business and I’m not sure DreamHost is a real business or are prepared to work with real businesses.

1. We bought a full year of the Code Monster plan a couple of months ago, back when it a $400 plus and they have not bothered to credit our accounted at all.

2. We purchased the Code Monster primarily because we wanted phone support… just in case we needed it.

3. Our server has been going down or having problems a lot lately ( a couple of times a week in some cases ).

4. I sent in a support ticket requesting a return call because of the server problem and the billing thing.

5. They evidently tried to call us in the evening, again we are a business on EST, and they could not even get through to our office or after hour voicemail because they block their caller id – and we don’t allow caller id blocks into our office… and you shouldn’t either. Read the latest FCC rulings.

6. I did a little investigation and found out that DreamHost is not even listed in CA as a business, or a business with a business phone number. Also did a reverse lookup, based on their fax… it not list as a business number in CA.

7. I went to WhoIS and found a phone number with a Dallas Bethune listed. I called that number and it is nothing but VM… even if you opt for the operator or spell name feature. I have left 3 messages for Dallas Bethune… he has not ever called be back.

8. I responded to an email from someone by the name of John, giving him my cell phone number as well… I have not heard from him either.

So, buyers beware.

I think that for the person who’s just throwing up a bunch of sites… DreamHost is probably fine.

But, if your site is mission critical… your lifeblood – I’m not so sure I would chose them now.

I’m still wait to hear back from someone.

Just to clarify a few points here. I understand that you’re frustrated, but I would like to try and address at least some of your concerns. We’re not against criticism directed our way (even on here), but I would like to set the record straight on a few counts.*

The “sale” plan is a different plan. If you want to switch to the new plan, you can do so from the web panel. We will not give you a retroactive credit for the service you’ve used, although any charges left on your current plan would be applied as a prorated credit.

We aren’t obligated to give the sale plan away to existing customers (and haven’t with some of our sales in the past – see other discussions in this forum).

We’re pretty up front about the fact that we don’t do phone support. We may do it at some point in the future, but currently we don’t. We have added the callback feature recently, and overall it has been pretty well received. We recognize that sometimes a phone call will help clear up an issue which might take a while to resolve via email.

If you list a time in the callback request, the support team will do their best to honor it. They have been pretty busy with the recent sale, the MyDoom virus outbreak, and so on…

Our company is listed as “New Dream Network”, and we are an LLC in the state of California.

There are real people here, although we do request that you submit support requests by email. Note that some staff (including Dallas, who is one of the founders of the company, and who posts here sometimes) work offsite, and may not check their voicemail very frequently.

• Speaking for myself, usual disclaimers apply.

Will pretty much covered everything, but I wanted to address something you said:

[quote]But, if your site is mission critical… your lifeblood – I’m not so
sure I would chose them now.

[/quote]

This is just my personal opinion, but as a general rule if a site as attained “lifeblood” importance, I’d highly recommend against going with a shared hosting plan with anybody.

The very nature of shared hosting is such that other people on your server can impact the hosting/operation of your site. Perl/PHP scripts, shell utilities, database queries, etc. can all overload the servers you depend on and cause downtime or poor performance.

For 95% of our customers the relatively small amount of service disruption they incur is acceptable given their needs and budget. However, anyone using terms life “lifeblood” and “mission critical” when referencing their site should really consider going with a dedicated hosting plan of some kind (whether or not it’s with DreamHost) and - ideally - institute their own back-up/recovery processes. We’ve had dedicated customers with rather specific needs in this regard, and have always tried to help to whatever capacity we could.

[quote]I’m still wait to hear back from someone.

[/quote]

I’m not sure who you’ve contacted or how, but if you have sent us a message through the established channels you should receive a response. If you wish to contact me directly to address any general support quality concerns you may have, you can do so at jeff-at-dreamhost.com.

BTW: You can rest assured that we are very much a real company. Otherwise, I’d be far more curious as to where those twice-a-month paychecks have been coming from for the last 5 or so years. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

[/quote]

We are checking into a dedicated server option at this time.

[/quote]

I posted a message at support, as I think I mentioned in the origanal post, and I replied to an email from ‘John’ this morning, who said he could not reach us because we follow the guidelines layed out by the last FCC DNC report by not allowing people/companies to call who blocking their caller id.

I will personally email you my cell phone number at this time.

Speaking to support can be nice, but often support cannot be “full” support around the clock.

Last year I did some work for a company to fix up their rather messy hosting. This company did about 2 gig per month bandwidth and used 20ish email addreses.

They were paying one company US$50per month for their email hosting and another company US$150 per month for Linux web hosting.

The email company only offered email support and took around 30-40 hours to help. The other company offered 24/7 support but most problems could only be fixed by the day team so calling after hours was pointless.

I’m not here to say Dreamhost is good or bad, just to say that other companies might offer 24/7 phone support, but their idea of just what that is can be very different from yours.

I know that some people still NEED to talk over the phone. But for me, a PROMPT reply is actually more important. I don’t mind not having phone support but would really appreciate perhaps making the support chat thing fully fledged.

[color=#CC0000]name[/color]slave
Domain Registration, Web Hosting & Search Engine Optimization

I’m not exactly sure what this “Caller ID Blocking” is. In fact, I worked for 2 Fortune 500 companies, and we used large phone switches, each based on a single 800 number. Occasionally, contacting a customer, I would run across someone who had Privacy Blocker. Yes, our 800 number that trunked together multiple sites and multiple locations did not list the name of the company. EITHER one. I don’t really care WHAT the FCC says. The reality is, companies are going to be slow to change, and if it COSTS them anything, even slower.

Also, I have dealt with 2 kinds of privacy blocker. One of them issues a blanket statement that unlisted numbers are rejected. The other offers the option of stating who is calling, and then ringing through and letting the receiver determine if they wish to accept the call. Perhaps you should look into the latter.

For mission critical stuff, agreed, shared is not the way to go. One client of mine just budgeted well over $20,000 for dedicated hosting over the next two years. We have a 100% uptime guarantee which includes power loss, natural disasters and network connection among other things. We actually get paid if the site goes down for a second.

In another thread here, you’ll see me giving DH a little bit of a hard time. Not because I think they’re doing a poor job, but because I know they listen, care and will do something about it. They deliver what they promise. They don’t promise phone support, which is fine by me. I get call backs with my hosting plan, never used a single one. They have been known to bend their rules in favor of the customer, but I’ve never seen them do the opposite.

You’re paying only $20k for two years of 100% uptime? Have you found a hosting provider willing to take you up on that?

There is no such thing as 100% uptime. If you want anything resembling that - say 3-4 9’s, you need multiple dedicated physical servers, clustering, front-end load-balancing and failover (unless you’re running something like a TRU-64 GS160/320 Alpha system), multiple pipes from different providers into separate physical locations, etc. Anyone who offers you 2 years of 100% uptime for $20K is chock full of fleecy goodness. Or they’re just plain nuts.

I have to say that it’s a load of crap to say that if you want your site to be available to someone when they type in your URL, then you should be on a dedicated server!!!

I understand tiny amounts of downtime. BUT my site is constantly down!!! Is it becuase i’m on a SALE plan. I’m sorry, but if you’re going to offer a plan and put it on sale, you’d better treat me as if i was someone not on a sale.

Im soooo disappointed with the uptime of DH it’s ridiculous.

I don’t think the sales have anything to do with what machine you are put on. I know I took advantage of the Code Monster sale and I am still on the same machine, neo (which seems to be a great machine).

willscorner.net

New plans get put on new machines. What machine you get put on doesn’t have anything to do with whether you’re a sale customer or not; we have some basic metrics for determining the aproximate number of customers / domains a machine can handle, and we switch to a new machine when we get to that point.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not happy with the stability of your machine. We do our best to keep all of our machines running as smoothly as possible. You can request to be moved to a new machine if you write support, though I think it is often better to stick it out for a little bit - often we’re already working to resolve whatever is causing instability on a particular machine.

[quote]You can request to be moved to a new machine if you write
support, though I think it is often better to stick it out for a little
bit - often we’re already working to resolve whatever is causing
instability on a particular machine.

[/quote]

It’s also worth noting that we have a 30 day money back refund policy. Details here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=166

Suffice to say if someone just signed up and has had nothing but trouble, we don’t want them to feel like they’ve been fleeced.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

it’s been longer than 30 days. I really want to love DH becuase I love everything else about the company. But if my site goes down every few days, what good is every other service you offer?

I’ve already been moved to a new server once about 2 months ago. I don’t use ANY scripts or hog hardly any bandwidth, it really sux the level of performance I get.

same physical location, but we’ve got all the rest. they just happen to be in a building built specifically for this, have multiple ISPs, generators, multiple circuits per server (we get 2x20A per machine)… then we speced out machines with dual power supplies, RAID 1…

that price is for our current load, which is very low. it goes up if we start getting a ton of traffic.

[quote]it’s been longer than 30 days. I really want to love DH becuase I love everything else about the company. But if my site goes down every few days, what good is every other service you offer?

I’ve already been moved to a new server once about 2 months ago. I don’t use ANY scripts or hog hardly any bandwidth, it really sux the level of performance I get.[/quote]

Well, I had some problems back in 97 or so, I think jezebel was the machine name. Wasn’t that bad but they finally replaced the machine. Then there was a time when, the web panel i think it was, was hosted on a machine where the processor came off the mobo. Not the sort of thing one thinks about checking when a machine goes down. I don’t recall any real issues in the past four years or so. I’m on Tank… maybe you can get moved there.

Well, I have to say this for Dreamhost. They have remedied the situation for me and in a timely manner. So thank you DH!!!

I’m a happy customer once again.