This Forum Package

apps

In the FAQ it says that this forum is wwwThreads. However, the link goes to UBB. I like this forum because it is so much faster than phpBB. Given that I know minimal php, I can at least modify phpBB but if I manage to track down this software will I be able to modify it without knowing pearl?
Lastly, where do I get this software?
Thanks. Christopher

looking here http://www.infopop.com/aboutus/ I discovered that UBB purchased wwwthreads and renamed it UBBThreads (UBBClassic?): http://www.ubbcentral.com/ubbclassic/

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

Thanks Jason.
I came across miniBb at www.minibb.net. I like that forum package, but sadly I just can’t get it to install. The setup script I think it has something to do with not reading from a cookie. I am supposed to be able to login to the admin panel but I can’t. I am hoping for a solution from minibb, but I wonder if anyone has installed this program here?

$cookiedomain=’’;
$cookiename=‘myForum’;
$cookiepath=’’;
$cookiesecure=FALSE;
$cookie_expires=90000;
$cookie_renew=1800;
$cookielang_exp=2592000;

I installed it on a site hosted here, and didn’t have any problems with either installation or customization. It’s an excellent program, especially if you want to focus more on speed and conversation rather than all the extra bells and whistles.

The only tiny irritation I noticed is there isn’t an administration area link at all until after you’ve logged in. Not a big deal, since it would be necessary to do this anyhoo.

~Chell

Interesting. Which version did you install? I am trying the last stable one 1.7f.
I agreee. I like it because it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles. Speed is much more important to me.

Could you tell me what you have your cookies set to in your (renamed) bb_admin.php file? Aparently the setup should have put the admin id into the user table in the mysql db, but mine is blank. I should be able to insert it manually, but not sure how to do this yet.

The version is 1.7d. I don’t remember having to mess with the bb_admin file (this could just be a brain fart), but I did set up the setup_options file before installing:
$cookiedomain=’’;
$cookiename=‘mycookiename’;
$cookiepath=’’;
$cookiesecure=FALSE;
$cookie_expires=90000;
$cookie_renew=1800;
$cookielang_exp=2592000;

~Chell

G’day, cpwr49.

I have been running miniBB on my DH-hosted site for almost a year (currently running v1.7f) without problems. Like chell said, I cannot recall having to modify bb_admin.php other than renaming it. In my setup_options.php, I have kept the default settings for cookies:

$cookiedomain=’’;
$cookiename=‘miniBBsite’;
$cookiepath=’’;
$cookiesecure=FALSE;
$cookie_expires=90000;
$cookie_renew=1800;
$cookielang_exp=2592000;

The miniBB developers–known as ‘Team’ to miniBB support forum users–are very helpful, so I am sure they will be able to help resolve the problem.

All the best,
marsbar

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. I only renamed the bb_admin.php as advised and set that new name as the admin module value in setup_options.php. I have put some messages on their board but no luck yet. It seems that it may be a cookie problem. I don’t seem to get a cookie when I “try” to log into the admin panel. So far the mysql db has the admin info in it. I have reinstalled v1.7f a couple of times, but have the same problem.
I sent some $ for paid support but they won’t be able to get to it until Monday. I was trying to figure out what the issue is. If you guys have installed it without a hitch. I wonder what I can be doing wrong? Probably something simple that I am blind to.
I did try the new version. I couldn’t even write to the db with that so I went back again.

They suggested renaming the tables in the setup_options.php, as a security measure, which I have done and they were created correctly. The manual appears to be for V2. and those are the instuctions I am following.

According to miniBB Team, there is no need to rename the tables if you are running version 1.7f [source of reference].
You have probably tried this already: consider performing a clean install–first remove all the miniBB files from the server, and drop the database tables. As much as possible, stick to the default settings. See how far this takes you. If you would like to check your miniBB settings against mine, please feel free to drop me a line–private message is fine.
All the best,
marsbar

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I made a new db and
did a clean install and it is working!

Congratulations on your successful installation of miniBB! :smiley:
Cheers,
marsbar

To all miniBB users out there. There was a security patch just released. If you are running miniBB 1.7e or earlier download the new version. You can just upload the patched file (bb_func_usernfo.php), or write over the whole bb. 1.7f has this already fixed.

http://www.minibb.net/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=9&topic=1854