Third-party registrars

The domain I registered here is set to expire in two months, and I’m planning to move it to a different registrar (keeping the site and DNS record hosted here, of course).

I’ve looked at the prices of some registration-only services, and seen that they offer better bulk prices than most webhosts. In fact, I planned to register my domain somewhere else originally, but the hosting plan comes with a free year of registration that ends soon.

Does anyone here use another registrar, and are there any difficulties? Beside the usual hassle of moving a domain, I mean? What registrars could you recommend?

I use domains4you.com, though I can’t recommend them as it’s the only registrar I’ve ever used. They are at least reliable and I like all of the features they offer, but there are certainly some cheaper registrars out there if cheap is what you need.

As to problems - the only major “problem” I’ve had is with DH’s mailservers not working. Discovered an IP changed and when I went to change it to that new IP it still wouldn’t work. As it ended up, my smtp and pop3 addresses were backwards, which I found odd considering the fact that they’d worked before (and I’d thought were setup right).

Anyways - I’ve had no major issues. The only thing that is a semi-concern is that the DH webserver’s IP will change. Otherwise, things are great :wink:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Hey, I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that our hosting plans come with one free domain registration or renewal every year. That is, you’ll get a registration credit about a month before your plan renews and you’ll be able to use that towards renewing your domain.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

“The only thing that is a semi-concern is that the DH webserver’s IP will change.”

Actually, the nameserver’s IP would have to change to cause a problem. After all, the registrar would still point to the DH DNS entries - hard-coding the web-server IPs is just asking for trouble.

Thanks for the heads-up about the renewing domain thing (I assume this is yearly even though I am on a two-year plan). So a different registrar will only be worthwhile once I wanted more than one domain?

Yup. I think the ad copy says something along the lines of a free domain registration for the life of your hosting account.

So to beat a dead horse:

1. If you only have one domain, you can keep renewing it for free every year as long as you maintain a hosting account here at DreamHost.
  2. If you want additional domains, you’ll have to pay for those at $9.95 a year. As you say, this is where you might be able to save money by using a third-party registrar. BTW, it’s too late for us, but if you’re a new customer, you can use a promo code that will get you some extra free “lifetime” domain registrations (again, that’s for the lifetime of your hosting account).

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts