Thinking of switching back


#1

So I used to be on DreamHost a long long time ago. I switched away because I wanted more control and freedom. Now I’m thinking of switching back but have a few questions since I’ve been out of the game for so long.

First off, is it possible to use a custom nameserver if I buy 2 unique IP addresses? I’m currently using ns1.mydomain and ns2.mydomain and I’m hosting a friend who is pointing to the custom nameserver so the less changes I make the better.

Also does any of the host plans have some sort of feature for reseller (in a way)? Like I said, I’m hosting a friend so need to give her access to her own domain to make changes.

Don’t think the last part of possible on DreamHost but just gotta ask.

Thanks for any responds.


#2

They do have a way to do this. It works nicely, as you are able to give users access to specific domains, domain registrations, databases, etc.

It is under Users>Account Privileges in the panel. I use this feature quite a bit.


#3

You have full control over DNS. It is totally fine if you register a domain in Dreamhost and host it elsewhere.

For resellers, sierracircle’s suggestion is great. Check users -> Account Privileges. You have full control over the privileges.


#4

Sorry for the late responds, busy busy. Alright, that answers one of my questions but what about setting up my own name servers to be, like, ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com?


#5

you will have to contact support or sales with your need for vanity nameservers. It’s been said here before than vanity nameservers are possible but highly discouraged. I don’t know if they charge extra for that, its discouraged enough they don’t give you a button to click even with a price for clicking it.


#6

I’d host with DreamHost, but keep DNS on CloudFlare (free) and get all the extra benefits of using CloudFlare’s advanced caching & security.

In fact, DreamHost even sort of encourages that approach! They’re CloudFlare partners and allow a close integration with CloudFlare’s services.

Why bother with setting up DNS if you can get a professional, high-traffic, free service that allows you that and, on top of everything, even speeds up all your websites AND protects them from security threats? :slight_smile:

(This is from someone who was stubborn enough to configure BIND manually for years and years for hundreds of customers…)


#7

RE: CloudFlare

Glad you see a benefit, I certainly do not. It caused multiple problems and I lost significant revenue. Complaints from other webmasters are endless. Here’s just a few:

https://www.google.com/search?q=CloudFlare&sourceid=webmasterworld&num=100&sitesearch=webmasterworld.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=CloudFlare+causing+problems&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a


#8

Ah, I should have emphasized that I host mostly for non-profits and personal blogs. In those cases, revenues from ads make little difference. I cannot sincerely say I have noticed a drop of revenues from ads on the websites I host at DH with CloudFlare, but I can imagine it might make a difference if you are used to earn thousands of dollars.

As for the many “complaints” from “other webmasters”, I did bother to read many of those, following up some of the links you posted, and the truth is that the vast majority of the complainers fit into one of two categories:

  1. They are clueless about how to configure CloudFlare properly and complain because they clicked on the wrong buttons… without understanding what they were doing (e.g. layer 8 error).
  2. They have opposite policies than CloudFlare (i.e. they do not mind less security, more DDoS attacks on their websites, but they find it horrible that their visitors get an extra cookie and/or the very occasional CAPTCHA to verify that they’re human). In this case, their complaints are certainly justified, specially because it’s not so obvious how much extra protection CloudFlare is putting on top of your website (much of which cannot be turned off) without testing first.

So maybe my enthusiasm about CloudFlare should be curbed: you should definitely try it out first for yourself, see if it does what you want, see if their policies are in tune with your own, and only then use CloudFlare if you think that the benefits outweigh the minor inconveniences.

I would gladly say that CloudFlare should be appropriate for more than 90% of the cases. It’s the remaining 10% which will prefer a different solution.