Thinking of joining

Ok so I’ve been reading the posts, all very interesting and helpful. BUT, I am NOT very tech savvy. I’m thinking of getting iWeb and posting here, but not sure if I can pull it off. I can’t afford an expensive web designer, but I need a site for my new business. Has anyone tried it? Is it hard to post from iWeb? I need a super easy program, and I know my Mac. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi cal girl!

I understand that some of the stuff in this forum can be pretty inimidating, but some of the stuff people are trying to do on here is pretty complicated.

That said, it does not have to be that hard. Dreamhost has an excellent selection of “one-click” installable programs for building/managing your website, that include a full-blown content management system (CMS) Joomla!, the popular WordPress blogging software (that many use as a site-builder, as it allows the creation of pages in addition to just blog entries), a full-featured shopping cart / ecommerce solution in zenCart, and more.

I can’t give you any guidance regarding iweb, as I am only passingly familiar with it, but you may well find the “one-click” install will meet all your needs.

You might want to check out the Dreamhost Wiki, and explore around there a bit to see if any of that information is helpful. In particular, check out Building a Website and One -Click Installs.

–rlparker

Remember to try/practice before settling on what you’re going to do!

You can always undo a one-click install!

Wholly

I don’t use a Mac, but I don’t think iWeb will publish your site directly to an FTP server. I believe you need to publish to a folder, then use a regular FTP client to upload the resulting files to your FTP server here at DreamHost.

As I said, I don’t use a Mac, but others here on the forum do, so perhaps someone will chime in with the details.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yes, I did some research and I got a program called Cyberduck. I have no idea how to do it though. Hopefully I’ll figure it out. The problem with Mac is they try to force you to use thier web hosting, which I will NOT do. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks so much for all the info! I hope to figure it all out someday;)
Being on a Mac makes things easier and also much harder. I have a PC, but it is very unreliable. Thanks to a really big company that starts with an “F”! Everyone is so helpful here, I really appreciate it,
smiles!