The username you picked is already being used

I created a user and deleted it because I used the wrong email address. When I tried to re-create the user again I received this message:
"the username you picked is already being used in our system"
When I look under groups, this username is still listed under my group.

How can I get rid of this user and re-create it?

Drop a line to Support. It doesn’t surprise me that usernames can’t be reused, but hopefully they can help you out.

-Scott

Thanks, but the support system seems to be down…

The problem is not that user names cannot be re-used, the problem is that users are not being deleted correctly. This is a bug in their user deletion system.

Hopefully they’ll fix the Support page soon.

Perhaps it takes time for that user to get completely cleared from the system.

-Scott

I don’t think they flush the entire system every time a customer hits the delete button, whether it’s users, domains, etc…

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

yeah, that’s been my experience. What up to 5 hours and then try to delete the user again. If you’re in need you can always use the http://dreamhost.com/contact.cgi form to contact support. Be sure to include enough information for them to locate your account as it won’t be automatically linked as it is when you normally submit a request. but that form will put your request into the same queue as other support requests.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website