Temp location while DNS propagates

I just set up an account and have FTP access - But for the life of me I cannot find the temporary place to access my uploaded pages via my browser.
I set up a parked subdomain at whatever.dreamhosters.com - Is this all I can do?

I am used to having a “you can access your files here while the DNS updates” sort of thing.

instead of setting up a parked subdomain at whatever.dreamhosters.com set up a mirrored domain. That way you will have a place where you can view your webcontent before/while DNS propigates.

As far as uploading you should have gotten information in your welcome E-mail on how to do that. basically you FTP in to your_server.dreamhost.com and put your files with in the folder name yourdomain.com (the same will apply if you want to telnet/ssh in to yoru server)

Then you can go to whatever.dreamhosters.com and see what you’ve accomplished.

-Matttail

Thank you - I changed it to mirror about an hour ago.

I was unclear before - I have the ftp ssh stuff working (litterally 5 minutes after i set up the account) and have uploaded my index - its just that the subdomain (mirrored) ryank.dreamhosters.com still returns a DNS error.

Under my domain management tab, here is what it says:

By active, does that mean it should be working or what?

it may take 2 hours or so to propigate through the Dreamhost system. Try again in abour 30 min or so, hopefully it will be working by then.

-Matttail

o_O

ryank.dreamhosters.com still doesnt work

but

ryank.net does… Cheers for DNS propogation in… 5 hours? :slight_smile: