Taking over from my Designer...PLZ Help

Ok, I am completely new to all aspects of dreamhost. I have worked with Go Daddy.
Sorry for the ignorance…

Is there a common file that you web text is stored? I know that index.php is generally your basic text file however, I have looked at all of them and I can’t find my text!!! I need to modify the text and update a picture or two.

I am using the dreamhost webftp. Can someone please help me??? I thank you very much for your help…

Your files are located at /home/YOURUSERNAME/YOURDOMAIN/

I’m not sure whether your site is a static page or built on CMS. If it is built on CMS and you never heard about it, mostly likely you will get lost. Most of your text are located in templates files. Some of your text are even stored in a database.

Start from the right directory and see what you can best do. If you are lost, I’ll suggest you to find a developer to help you out.

Ok… I have found out it was built in joomla. Does that help?

Do you have the admin credentials? You’d log into something like: yourdomain.com/administrator to get to the back-end cpanel, the articles, modules and components that make up your site.

Your actual content is stored in a database that is separate from the files that show up under your domain (where you FTP). If you can get into your Dreamhost panel you can get the database credentials. They are also in the config.php file that’s with the other files. Your designer should have given you admin info. (If they didn’t, look up “joomla lost admin password” and you should find some links that should help you get back into your site.)

Go to joomla.org for info about using it to run your website.

I have all rights to all the stuff. Ok, so the website design is in my database? So its not controlled by html or php code? I will try to find config.php and see if the code is in there. the site is mattvanceart.com. Just in case you need to look at the site for reference. Thanks for the help and I will keep posting if I can find out anything. Thanks again.

So, can you go here:
http://www.mattvanceart.com/administrator/
and log-in as the admin?

If you can, that is how you access everything at your site. It’s the engine that runs it.

The whole idea of a CMS like Joomla is that you do not need to use FTP or play around with any of the php at your site. You use the Joomla administrative backend to add your images, edit content, add new content, create menus and other navigation, install or change your template, add components, pretty much everything.

All your website content (the text, your articles, stuff you write, site settings, users, all that kind of stuff) is then saved by Joomla into the database (but you always access it/edit it from the administrator backend).

Your images, which you upload via the back-end editor, usually, are most likely in a directory called ‘images’ and then in a sub-directory of that called ‘stories’ - it may be customized differently, but the images ARE in the web readable area of your site (where all the php files are).

Possibly: mattvanceart.com/images/stories/

Looks like your site is using a custom template and probably a gallery component. Once you log-in, it should make a bit more sense.

In normal practice you shouldn’t need to access the database (unless you do NOT have admin access to the site at all because you’d need to fix that and that’s where you could reset the password).

Go to http://docs.joomla.org/ for lots of info about getting started with your site. Once you get in, look at the components and see what is creating your gallery. You can probably go to that developer’s site to find out more about how it works.

I have logged into dreamhost and have looked through all my files and have found the images, however I can’t find the actual php script. I downloaded joomla, but I don’t know how to use it. So I am going to look into that now, while keeping my eye on here. Please keep helping if you can. I really appreciate it!!! Thanks in advance.

Did you follow artgeeks instructions?

i have been trying to find the administrator backend. I don’t know how to run joomla. I am still researching how to use it. I am frustrated.[hr]
I am now trying to download all the files from the dreamhost webftp. I just downloaded filezilla and trying to understand it.[hr]
ok, I have now downloaded all the files using filezilla. Now I think I’m gonna delete all the files from the dreamhost ftp and start from scratch with this joomla thing. Whats your opinion?[hr]
Now I can’t find where the files were downloaded. Where filezilla put them. ugh, lol

Don’t delete all your files. Figure out how to login to the joomla admin panel. What happans when you clock the link artgeek gave you? Do you know how to log in on that screen?

Its a wiki and I’m going through it now. I’m not gonna delete them until I have a good solid replacement.[hr]
ok, I got to the backend and now I can’t figure out the password…[hr]
I may have to start over since I can’t figure out the username or password.

you could still get in without knowing the admin username or password:
http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recover_your_admin_password

[quote]
Add a New Super Administrator User

If changing the password won’t work, or you aren’t sure which user is a member of the Super Administrator group, you can use this method to create a new user.

Navigate to phpMyAdmin and select the database for the Joomla! site in the left-hand drop-down list box. This will show the database tables on the left side of the screen.
Press the "SQL" button in the toolbar to run an SQL query on the selected database. This will display a field called "Run SQL query/queries on database <your database>".
Delete any text in this field and copy and paste one of the following queries and press the Go button to execute the query and add the new Administrator user to the table.
Use the 1.6 query version for a site based upon Joomla 1.6.xx and use the 1.5 query version for a site based upon Joomla 1.5.xx....[/quote]

Why didn’t your designer give you this info? Can you ask them for it? It’s an essential part of doing a web-design job! Your designer should have gone over Joomla with you too.

Ok, since we’ve established that you don’t have any admin credentials you will need to go into the database connected with your site to reset it to something you know – the link jon-) posted spells it out.

http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recove...n_password

[quote]Change the Password in the Database

If the admin user is still defined, the simplest option is to change the password in the database to a known value. This requires that you have access to the MySQL database using phpMyAdmin or another client.

Navigate to phpMyAdmin and select the database for the Joomla! site in the left-hand drop-down list box. This will show the database tables on the left side of the screen.
Click on the table "jos_users" in the list of tables (note: you may have a prefix that is not jos_, simply go to the _users table for your prefix).
Click on the "Browse" button in the top toolbar. This will show all of the users that are set up for this site.
Find the user whose password you want to change and press the Edit icon for this row.
A form will display that allows you to edit the password field. Copy the value

[code]d2064d358136996bd22421584a7cb33e:trd7TvKHx6dMeoMmBVxYmg0vuXEA4199[/code]

into the password field and press the Go button. phpMyAdmin should display the message "Affected rows: 1". At this point, the password should be changed to "secret".
Log in with this user and password and change the password of this user to a secure value. Check all of the users using the User Manager to make sure they are legitimate. If you have been hacked, you may want to change all of the passwords on the site.

[/quote]

Once you are in, make sure to change the password again to something secure.

Getting in is key to having the whole thing make a lot more sense.