Synced email address book?

Users can store address book information while using the RoundCube webmail software on DreamHost. Is there a way to sync this address book information between IMAP clients (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail, Android Mail)?

On a related note, what is the status of LDAP at DreamHost? The DreamHost wiki article on LDAP is sparing with information, and it has not been updated since 2010.

Any idea on this? If this is not currently possible, should this thread be moved or remade in Suggestions?

You’re correct; Suggestions is probably the best place for this. I’ve moved the thread for you.

That being said, I’m not aware of any clear solutions available to us. LDAP doesn’t exactly fit here; my understanding is that it’s more intended for providing a single centralized “phone book” of contact information within an organization, not for storing users’ personal contacts “address book” style.

LDAP can be used to create personal address books, though it requires a bit of configuring and setup. Admittedly, I’m not familiar with this process beyond some light reading.

In my particular case, I’m looking for both a centralized directory and personal address books.

I’m running Baïkal on DH shared hosting. It’s a server app for CalDAV and CardDAV, i.e. shared calendars and addressbooks. I use Thunderbird as a client, but it should also be possible to import a CardDAV addressbook in Roundcube with the Roundcube CardDAV plugin. Then you could have your central addressbook (and calendar, if you want) on something like baikal.yourdomain.com and import it in Roundcube and mail clients.
Another option for a CardDAV server is Owncloud.

If I look under Help in the webmail interface, I can find instructions for setting up CardDav and CalDav sync with my local machine’s Address Book and Calendar. Does this not work now? It would be nice if it was so simple!

I have been a Dreamhost customer for more than 10 years and the two things I have always wanted them to add in addtion to webhosting and IMAP email, are CalDAV and CardDAV servers. It just seems a natural set of services to pay for–and control–rather than getting ‘free’ from companies that will use my data.