Symlink to a subdomain

software development

Howdy – following the wiki instructions, I’ve deployed a Ruby on Rails app to a subdomain (i.e. “mysubdomain.mymaindomain.com”); however, I’d like to have my main URL point to the app. I believe that this can be accomplished through the creation of a symlink, but I’ve never had occasion to use/make one before. Any thoughts?

-d.

You could change the main domain in the DH panel to be a mirror or redirect to the subdomain.

– Dan

What Dan said.

If you’re not familiar with the difference, a redirect will take the user to your sub-domain. If you mirror the sub, the browser will stay an yourdomain.com.

If you care about Google PR and already have a bunch of inbound links to the domain, you might be better off mirroring it, otherwise a redirect (301) would pass the PR to your sub.

You could also just move everything to your domain folder, then redirect the sub to your domain – if it’s something that already has incoming links.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with 96DOLLARSOFF promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with TAKESEILERSCASH.

I’ll take another look at that – thanks. In the meantime, I’ve set up an .htaccess file that seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks again,
Dieter