Switching webhosts

Hi,

I’ve recently taken over responsibility for my churches website, which is badly in need of updating and redesign. I have a couple of questions.

1. Does DH support textpattern?
  2. Will they install it, or provide tools to install it?

Also, I am going to have to work on developing the new site while the old site is still up and running. At some point, if everything goes well, I will want to move the webhost to DH. Will I be able to keep the email addresses? We own the domain, so I’m assuming the answer to that is yes.

Sorry if these are obvious, the whole webhosting business is new to me.

Thanks…

1. i didn’t test, but apparently yes (HD have php and mysql).

2. there is not one-click install fir textpattern, but you have FTP and ssh to do it.
    Everything is explained here :
    http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_Textpattern

For emails :
if it’s someone@yourdomain.com, yes, you can keep email addresses

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: choose your plan (promo code included)

FYI, If your church is a certifiable “non-profit” you can get free hosting on the highest level plan. See:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Non-profit_Discount

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Wow. Did I read that right? The biggest plan for free? Am I missing something?

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/V8.11_November_2006

You’re starting to get the picture. That wiki article should explain how it’s not too good to be true. Or how it is too good to be true, but it’s true nonetheless.

Remember to tell 'em ANONYMOUS0 sent you. :slight_smile:

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Yes, your eyes are ok. DH is really great. They offer free business plan but only for non-profit organizations. As stated in the wiki, you need to show the prove :stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Yes, you will be able to work on the site beforehand. You can make a free *.dreamhosters.com address that you can access your site before moving over the DNS. Once you switch the DNS, you can access it normally.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on all yearly plans using promo code [color=#CC0000]PHEWSEPHIFTY[/color] when you sign up!

Hi, thank you for this information. But, could you please explain what you mean by setting up a 'free *.dreamhosters.com address" to test my site before I switch the DNS?

Thank you.

Basically, you can upload all of your site to Dreamhost, and set up a domain like “mytest.dreamhosters.com” or something and then access your site like that until you transfer the domain. That way, you’ll be able to fully test to make sure everything is working first.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on all yearly plans using promo code [color=#CC0000]PHEWSEPHIFTY[/color] when you sign up!

I’ve installed Textpattern and like it so far. However, I tried to find LaTeX plugins, but found none. Does TP support LaTeX and, if yes, how to install it?