Switching SIte to DreamHost

After continued unresolved issues with another host (powweb) I am looking to switch my main site to DreamHost in it’s entirety, and will be shifting other sites further down the line.

I don’t really have any issues that need troubleshooting (as I haven’t started migrating yet), I am more trying to pre-empt what problems might arise.

The site is a Joomla site using an SMF forum, so basically what we will be looking to do is rebuild the joomla site on here then import our database from the other hosting company.

Anyone done anything similar recently, and if so, what niggles might I encounter. Or, in similar fashion, what is the best way to approach it?

Thanks in advance.

I recommend you have a look through the forums and at www.dreamhoststatus.com. DreamHost has been having major problems lately. I signed up not too long ago (but didn’t start developing my site early enough to take advantage of the money-back guarantee).

Over the past several weeks (at least), many services have been down sporadically. Personally, I have had regular difficulties connecting to my site via HTTP and SSH, and even connecting to these forums and the Dreamhost Control Panel (which seems to be the only place you can submit support tickets).

If you are going to be running apps that rely on MySQL, keep in mind that a lot of people (including myself) have found the DreamHost MySQL servers to be particularly slow and sometimes unreliable. I personally wouldn’t recommend that you move your sites over to DreamHost (at least not until they have their act together, if that ever happens). In my experience: Dreamhost offers great features in theory, but in practice isn’t sufficiently reliable to be useful.

Anyone done anything similar recently

The wiki has:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Joomla!

and especially:

Adventures getting started with Joomla!

but didn’t start developing my site early enough to take advantage of the money-back guarantee

Please stop making excuses, and ask them what they’ll do. They won’t hold you here against your will.

==

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Sorry, but I have to respond to this, even though it’s off topic. It’s too bad that some DreamHost afficionados insist on taking this kind of tone. I wasn’t aware of the thread you pointed to. And sure, if these problems continue I’ll “ask them what they’ll do.” However, regarding a refund, I’ll believe it when I see it. Legally, the DreamHost Terms of Service hold more weight than a single post by a DreamHost employee, buried somewhere in the forums.

"After the first 97 days a canceled account will be canceled before the next payment is due and no more billing will occur nor will any payment be refunded, even for unused portions."
http://www.dreamhost.com/tos.html

Just to add a reply to the OP, of course have a look at the discussions over at http://forum.joomla.org. In any case, I stand by my original point regarding MySQL performance (based on my experience and that of other users).

I’m fully aware of the issues DreamHost has had recently, and I am also aware that you will get issues with every host. What attracted me to Dreamhost was more the fact that they appear to be pretty open about when issues arise and what they are which means I know what I am dealing with. This is in stark contrast to how things are developing on my current provider where you are rarely made aware of any issues and you never know if it is your site or the servers. This has resulted in many wasted hours for me as I try to repair/change things whilst flying blind as to the root cause.

Thanks for those links, I have looked at them already, what I was really seeking some feedback on was any peculiarities which may exist here which I may run in to whilst transferring in an existing site as opposed to starting a new Joomla site.

It’s too bad that some DreamHost afficionados insist on taking this kind of tone. I wasn’t aware of the thread you pointed to. And sure, if these problems continue I’ll “ask them what they’ll do.” However, regarding a refund, I’ll believe it when I see it. Legally, the DreamHost Terms of Service hold more weight than a single post by a DreamHost employee, buried somewhere in the forums.

Cool, now I’m an afficionado! :slight_smile: Problem with concise written communication is recipients see the tone they want to see.

Except, in this case, Michael and Dallas are, with reasonable certainty (note their profiles), speaking as the founders:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Honchos

“the shorter, fine looking” guy is Michael Rodriguez

the long-haired guy in the green shirt is Dallas Bethune

regarding MySQL performance

I don’t disagree; there have been numerous reports of problems, but they admit them and work on improving.

What attracted me to Dreamhost was more the fact that they appear to be pretty open about when issues arise

I agree. My main problem is slow, steady deterioration in Support, in speed and effectiveness.

==

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas