Switching over

Hi, my parents currently use a different hosting site.

They’re small business just got ‘sponsored?’ by a corporation that will make a page for their company on their web site.

They want me to delete their old website and just make a home page that will link them to the new one.

They want to keep their current email accounts while switching hosts.

Will I have to contact the company that does their hosting (their site is managed by someone else) and ask them to remove their accounts and email, and then create a new one on the dreamhost server?

Just to make sure I’m understanding your request, it seems like you should set everything up at DreamHost first, and then contact the old company and have them switch it over.

But what do you mean by them wanting to keep their current email accounts? Do they want to keep them at their old host? Or are they using Google Apps or something like that?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Fr4nk13 thank you for your post.
Since their account on the “old host” will be deactivated (that mean no longer hosted by your old host), which mean that your “old host” should delete the domain name from their hosting panel. You can send them eventually an email to make sure they did so.

There is one thing YOU need to do, access the domain name registrar (Godaddy for example?) and modify the name servers informations (NS1, NS2, etc…) by the name servers of Dreamhost (NS1.dreamhost.com, NS2.dreamhost.com, etc.)

In the transition phase (while moving from your old host to Dreamhost), you have to do the step mentionned above fast to avoid an eventual lost of email. Allocate 24h-48h for the new DNS (dreamhost) to propagate.

Get $55 discount: use this code DHDISCOUNT55 when you sign up with Dreamhost for one year.

I believe that their domain is hosted with the web host (creativedata.net).

Would I have to contact the guy that maintains the website after I purchase hosting from DH?

Who is this guy that maintains the website? But the answer is: probably yes. Either that or you could switch the hosting over yourself, but if there’s someone else to do it for you, all the better!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

To be sure, go to www.whois.net, enter your domain name there. Under “Registrant Contact:” or “Created by Registrar:” you will find who is the registrar for your domain name.

There is also a section called “Name Servers:” that display your actual nameservers.

Whatever the registrar is, you will have to change your nameserver when you change your host (This apply to any host). If it’s creativedata (I doubt but possible) log in to your actual account there, go on your domain informations, and edit the Name Server for Dreamhost. It should work perfectly.

Dreamhost will communicate the Nameservers informations as soon as you have your website host with them.

Also if you still can’t do this just tell us what’s the domain name? Will tell you the data you need to know.

As Lensman said, What do you mean by “the guy that maintains the website?” the webdesigner?

Get $55 discount: use this code DHDISCOUNT55 when you sign up with Dreamhost for one year.

apparently the domain is hosted with GRIDSOUTH and the registrar is NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

And yes, I believe they have a web designer who maintains everything for them.

ok great, so will have to log to your network solutions account, change the nameserver there when you open your account with dreamhost.

Once I switch the nameserver, will I have to set up new email accounts?

And will the old ones automatically be deleted?

[quote]Once I switch the nameserver, will I have to set up new email accounts?

And will the old ones automatically be deleted?[/quote]
You’ll have to set up new email accounts at DreamHost - or do what a number of us do here which is use Google Apps for email for your domain.

No, the old accounts will not be deleted. What’s your concern about them? You should download all the messages from them if you can. At that point, they can either be deleted explicitly or left to be automatically deleted at some point.

Does either of these two things sound attractive? If so, we here can provide additional helpful details…

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Well, they don’t want to change their email addresses, so I’ll probably go ahead and …
1:purchase hosting from DH
2:delete email accounts off the old hosting
3:set up new email accounts on DH
4:cancel old hosting.

Does that sound okay? or did I miss a step :confused:

The Google Apps email solution in no way means that they have to change their email addresses. It is not gmail, it is a “free” service where Google provides email services for your domain.

At any rate, I’d suggest setting up email before deleting the old email accounts. This will minimize downtime.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Does that mean that incoming e-mails would be going into both servers?

No, setting up email at DreamHost first just means that both email servers will accept email. Until you change over the MX records in DNS, email will be delivered to the old server. After you change over the DNS, email will be delivered to the old server.

As long as the email account is active over at the old server, users will be able to view and/or retrieve their old email.

I believe it’s the case that its best practice to have email accounts active on both servers for a little while in order to make 100% sure that email is always delivered properly and not rejected. There will always be a few hours or days of overlap where some email servers will have the old MX records cached (I think).