Switching Hosting - NEED help!

I’ve spent the last 3 days trying to move my blog from my old hosting to DreamHost and I give up. I keep getting links to articles and go through all of the steps and all I’m left with is a blank Wordpress page and frustration. I don’t have $99 to pay them to do it and just wanted to know is there a way in laymen terms to get this thing live before I go crazy and just say screw it???

Hi Alisha,

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but paying $99 to get it set up correctly is well worth it if your skill level doesn’t quite get it done on your own.

There are a lot of tiny details involving the new database paths that would make it challenging to get help in a forum.

But hey, maybe someone will come along that has the experience to put it all in simple terms that I can’t :slight_smile:

It would be helpful to know more about your old platform and your new platform. Here are some questions we need answers to in order to provide more specific help:

1. Were you using a content manager like WordPress?

2. Who is your old host? (This is sometimes significant.)

3. Does your old platform include a MySQL database? If so, do you have access to phpMyAdmin on your old site?

4. Do you have shell access on your old site?

5. Are you using the same domain name, or a different domain name?