Switched to gmail and cannot login

Hi.

I just switched my mail hosting from DH to gmail. I 've waited at least 2 hours and I’m not able to log into gmail (google apps) using my username & pswd I used with DH.

Any clues?
Do I need to wait longer?

Thanks,
Matt

Google Mail uses separate accounts from DH. You may have received an email from DreamHost that gave you an admin link at Google, but you can find that link in the Panel under Domains -> Manage Domains.

You will need to go over to Google Apps and set up your mail there, including the master/admin account and any user accounts.

-Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott.

When I go to http://mail.mydomain.com/ I get an “Address Not Found
Firefox can’t find the server at mail.doggonecreative.com.” message. When I try to log into Google Apps it says te domain is already being hosted at Google. My username/pwsd are not getting me into Google.
Under the Panel > Domains > Manage Domains I can see this record under mail “0 aspmx.l.google.com.” I tried refreshing the DNS. I don’t know where to go from here.

Thanks,
Matt

That DNS entry looks like an MX record. Is there a CNAME record for “mail”? It should point to ghs.google.com.

Here’s my DNS for a fully hosted Google domain:

A 64.233.179.121
A 66.249.81.121
A 72.14.207.121
MX 0 aspmx.l.google.com.
NS ns1.dreamhost.com.
NS ns2.dreamhost.com.
NS ns3.dreamhost.com.
calendar CNAME ghs.google.com.
docs CNAME ghs.google.com.
mail MX 0 aspmx.l.google.com.
mail CNAME ghs.google.com.
sites CNAME ghs.google.com.
start CNAME ghs.google.com.
www CNAME ghs.google.com.

-Scott

Scoot,

The CNAME record points to ghs.google.com. Below is my DNS with the ip addresses x’d out (is this a security concern to post these?).

A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
MX 0 aspmx.l.google.com.
NS ns1.dreamhost.com.
NS ns2.dreamhost.com.
NS ns3.dreamhost.com.
calendar CNAME ghs.google.com.
docs CNAME ghs.google.com.
ftp A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
mail MX 0 aspmx.l.google.com.
sites CNAME ghs.google.com.
start CNAME ghs.google.com.
www A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Thanks,
Matt

Add: mail CNAME ghs.google.com.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Scott,

Sorry for the typo (“Scoot”) on the previous post.

Matt

sXi,

Thanks for the suggestion.
When I attempt to add this record I get this error, “You already have a record for this name. You can’t have a CNAME and any other record on the same name.”

Switch it back to DH mail, wait awhile, then revert back to GMail again.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Hey Matt,
I’ve had the same issue after wanting Gmail with my domain. This is what I found, your DNS is fine, you can check your google mail at:

mail.google.com/a/YOURDOMAINNAME.COM

once you set-up your email there and you can login as the admistrator, click on ‘Manage My Domain’ at the upper right, unless you are already there, then you can click the ‘Service settings’ menu head and ‘Email’ dropdown.
Then you can change the mail url to:
mail.YOURDOMAINNAME.COM
in the ‘Web Address’ under the ‘General’ tab, Let me know if this helps