Svn

Hi
I read “svn” in the features list. Does that mean that I can use a svn client instead of a ftp client to upload my files to the server ?

olivvv

it is a a version control system.

Yes. I don’t keep a Subversion repository here but my sites are all working copies checked out of the repositories I have elsewhere. I use the installed svn client to update them as needed.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

OK thanks.
Currently I am using a little svn, but only as repository. I have no automated way to know what is the version of the files I have on the production server.
Being able to control them the same way I control a svn repository (with tortoise).
Do you mean that you have a repository somewhere on your lan, and a copy of that repository on the live server ?
That is the kind of organisation I am looking for. What client are you using ?

olivvv

I have a file server at home that also houses my Subversion repositories. This machine is accessible via SSH. Most of my work is done in a development environment at home and changes are committed to these repos, then I can SSH to my Dreamhost account and use the command line svn client over SSH to update the live sites. I use the regular command line svn client on OS X at home too.

If your repository is internet-accessible, you can do something like this. If not, you’ll have to check out or export the files, then upload them normally. I recommend doing a check out rather than an export. You’ll have more files to upload but you’ll also get the convenience of being able to check the revision numbers of the live sites using ‘svn info’.

thanks
I am a newcomer to svn, as a junior webdeveloper this is kinda complex for me but very attractive because I would be the right response to a real need I have, e.g controlling my uploads to production server.
Do you know if there is a good ressource somewhere (tutorial or so) to help me achieving this ?
I wanna to be sure of being able to use what I buy, before to buy it…

The definitive Subversion resource is O’Reilly’s Version Control with Subversion, which you can read or download in it’s entirety by following that link. Once you have an understanding of how it works you’ll easily be able to come up with a method that will work for your particular needs.