SVN questions

apps

Hi all,

I am really interested by the SVN feature from Dreamhost, but I will need to import a dump created from a latest version of subversion than the 1.1.4. So I would like to know if there is any plan to upgrade the subversion to the latest version ?

If not, I know that we can install our proper subversion server, but is it possible to access it via HTTP and not SSH ? I will need to access it behind a proxy (the port 80 is the only open), anyone had experienced that ?
If someone can tell me that he managed to connect to his self-installed SVN from a proxy, I would really appreciate. :slight_smile:

Thanks !

Although I have never tried it, I would assume that you could use tunnelling to let ssh connections go through port 80.

I didn’t know you could set up your own, newer server on dreamhost. How do you do that? :smiley:

By the way, go to your control panel and vote for upgrading stock svn on Dreamhost and let’s hope for the best.

Like my help? Enter promo code 2FORME and you get the maximum off for your plan, minus 2$ - for me. :slight_smile:

For the installation, I’ve read it here :

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Subversion_Installation

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look how to use ssh tunneling.
And I can’t vote, I am not yet a dreamhost customer, this svn problem is the only thing that makes me hesitate… :confused:

Well, use a creditcard at signup (and the promo 9999, if it still works), and you pay around 20$, which you can get back up to 97 days after signup. IMO, it’s easier to play around than speculating. :slight_smile:

Let us know how things turn out!

Like my help? Enter promo code 2FORME and you get the maximum off for your plan, minus 2$ - for me. :slight_smile:

Note that the newest subversion version is at http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.2.tar.gz, and not 1.3.0, as stated in the wiki. I am hesitant to edit it in there, as I don’t know if the procedure still works with the new version, but maybe someone will give it a try - perhaps you.

I would not recommend using Subversion on Dreamhost. I’ve been using it for a few weeks and have some unsolvable problems that really make it unusable.

I’ve spent enormous amounts of time on the SVN mailers working on the problems, and basically, it boils down to the fact that Dreamhost is using a very old release that has some bad bugs.

Personally, I don’t think they should even offer it - unless they are able to provide updates to fix bugs it isn’t really fair to the users. As was explained to me, they aren’t going to try to update SVN on its own - they will just pick up updates as they get new Debian releases.

This is not good.

I have managed to install Subversion 1.4.0 on my account (not from source, but from a precompiled version).
And I can connect it behind my proxy using Putty proxies settings (as TortoiseSVN use Putty sessions to connect).

The next step will be to look if it is possible to acess it via http. :slight_smile: