SVN post-commit deployment

software development

Hi, I’ve set up a SVN repository on the server for my website and my working copy of the site resides locally on my laptop.

What I want to be able to do is continue to work and test locally and then after changes are committed to the repository, have a post-commit hook on the server copy the changed files to my live website (or a script to run a SVN update on my live website - either of these would do.)

I’m just wondering if anyone is using SVN this way to do post commit deployment - is this the right thing to do? Or, perhaps someone can point me to some script that i can adapt …

Jon

have you seen the subversion article in the dreamhost wiki? it talks about this (you may also want to look at the discussion page), but personally i couldn’t get it to work the way described there. i posted some notes on what i did on my website, which might also be helpful to you. let me know if you want more details.

track7 - my dream-hosted site

I use the method posted on the wiki (subversion article) with no problems. Go check it out! :slight_smile: