SVN Large Imports To Repository

I am trying to import a 950 MB project into a new repository that I created. It goes good for a while and then it hits some large files and fails with an error saying that it was aborted by the host software. I have read that this is possibly a Subversion issue and I wonder if anyone knows a work-around. I tried importing it in chunks but then it tries putting everything in root instead of maintaining the directory structure.

Does anyone know how I can import my large SVN project without being disconnected by the server?

It sounds like they are having the same problems over here: http://groups.google.com/group/google-code-hosting/browse_thread/thread/fde53613ef485b98

But, I cannot find a solution. One of the main reasons for me coming to DreamHost.com is that they offer Subversion and that is what we need.

Derik Wilson

Nevermind. I found a solution. This is what I am doing:

(On my PC): I coppied the entire export of my current SVN repo to a new directory. Then I went into the command prompt and into the root of that SVN export. I then “DEL /S /Q .” to delete all of the files and keep the directory structure. After that, I right click on that folder and select the SVN import option (using tortoiseSVN) and select the repo at my new dreamhost.com web location.

Once the import was complete, I have a repo of the skeleton directory structure. I then delete everything in that export folder that I had set up to contain the skeleton dir structure because I am now going to use it as my check-out folder. I then rightclick and checkout connecting to my new SVN repo at dreamhost.com (the one installed under my domain not theirs. I use their name to keep mine hidden). Now I have a SVN download of the skeleton dir structure. I then add the entire export back into that new SVN check-out folder. Now I can commit each directory (or individual files) to get most of them up there and then I will have to figure out how to commit those that are bigger than Subversion can handle (if that happens again).

Derik Wilson

I think dreamhost has some issues with svn ssh:// urls, which is what I’m trying to use to export my rails app from my home devbox to the DH server.

I even upgraded to a PS account, after they said that would fix the problem…but it didn’t.

Their SVN admin is supposed to look into it, but I haven’t heard anything in a few days.

the command would simply die “Killed signal 15”

when I ran even a list:

svn list svn ssh://me@home/x/svn/projects/test_rails_app
foo
bar

Killed signal 15.

This happens everytime.

I found this thread as the 2nd find when I just did Google Search (dreamhost SVN OR Subversion big OR huge OR large file). And especially note[quote=“dwilson, post:1, topic:43055”]I am trying to import a 950 MB project into a new repository that I created. (the commit) goes good for a while and then it hits some large files and fails with an error saying that it was aborted by the host software. I have read that this is possibly a Subversion issue and I wonder if anyone knows a work-around. … Does anyone know how I can import my large SVN project without being disconnected by the server?
It sounds like they are having the same problems over here: http://groups.google.com/group/google-code-hosting/browse_thread/thread/fde53613ef485b98
But, I cannot find a solution. One of the main reasons for me coming to DreamHost.com is that they offer Subversion and that is what we need.[/quote]I empathize with you & your frustrations, as indeed I am now also experiencing on DreamHost what sounds like is same error message & failure as you got: what you post here above.
The thread covering the bug I’m encountering, possibly identical to what’s happening to you, is on this forum: “My DreamHost Subversion now can’t commit/add any new file over ~.5GiB or .5GB”. Indeed the only differences I see from your experiences are:[list=1] []for me, I started experiencing this (and 100%) just this month 2011.08; 2 months prior a new 1.03GB file checked in fine.
[
]For me, the error only occurs for a new file over ~.5GB, but that would generally create a similarly large commit, so it could be, per your example, actually with commits over ~.5GB.[/list]Hope this additional lead helps. And if you or anyone finds any further ideas or solutions to this situation, please post it on that thread. Thanks!

Did you notice this thread is just over 3 years old? Since there is 3 years and 3 months between this issue and your issue, and your issue is brand new (worked previously for you with an issue starting within the last month) then i don’t see how they are related.

[quote=“LakeRat, post:5, topic:43055”]Did you notice this thread is just over 3 years old? Since there is 3 years and 3 months between this issue and your issue, and your issue is brand new (worked previously for you with an issue starting within the last month) then i don’t see how they are related.[/quote]Thanks for you reply. Yes, I did notice that. Still, they are related as I mention: that both seem to have the same error message & failure conditions as I describe, so it’s possible the same issue, just popping its head up again, for reasons yet unknown. Now true if I found or knew-of many instances of this bug, one would probably dismiss this report because it’s 3 years old as you say and perhaps because it is solved; but I haven’t yet found many reports of this bug & don’t yet know why that is (though I haven’t yet asked DreamHost if they’ve gotten reports internally, I was just searching for those found via Google) and indeed this the only one I’ve found for DreamHost, so then it is significant.

But indeed your question inspired me to write another related post: see Other instances of this bug happening to others, that is that I know of.