Support?

Ok, I’ve had DreamHost for Several Years now, I think is one of the best Hostings our there, and until a couple of days ago, i thought the best support ever.

I used to get response within 10-15 at the most, now things are taking 5,6,7,8 hrs
I would like to know if this is a temporary thng ? I recommend DH to may people all the time, and when I get a web design client i register with DH, but if Support will keep like this, I don’t think I’ll keep doing this.
Support is one of the most important aspects for a WebHostings i can think of, so please inform.

I’m sure you guys will say that everything is fine, etc, because probably is company policy, but Please be honest, if you guys are having some kind of problems we understand, no one is perfect, but we hope you fix it soon.

With all that said, please excuse my poor english.
Regards,
AHA

Do you mean you used to get responses within 10-15 minutes? If so, that’s great response time and even better than I get and I try to create extremely respondable support requests. :slight_smile:

[quote]I would like to know if this is a temporary thng ? I recommend DH to may people all the time, and when I get a web design client i register with DH, but if Support will keep like this, I don’t think I’ll keep doing this.
Support is one of the most important aspects for a WebHostings i can think of, so please inform.[/quote]
Well, as others will probably tell you, they say they’ll get back to you in 24 hours, but as you’ve experienced, they’ve been really good in the past.

I suspect that they’ve been getting deluged with requests related to the Blingy filer problem. And beyond the usual requests where they have to come up with creative ways of saying that anyone on the cluster is going to have to live with poor performance until they get new disk in or can get the cluster reconfigured, I’m betting that it’s really hard to debug real performance problems when there’s the filer problem masking all other problems like when your neighbors are using up too much system resource.

At any rate, you should read about the Blingy problems on the support site and the extended version in the dreamhost blog.

None of us (except for the blue guys) work here, so there’s no policy that says we have to say only positive things.

Are you in the Blingy cluster? I’d guess not otherwise you’d have even bigger complaints. (btw, you can find out in the panel under email server after you click on “Account Status” in the upper right hand corner).

Hey, no excuses necessary. You communicated effectively and were much more straightforward and polite than 80% of the posters here on the forum!

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Hey Lensman

Thanks for the Response.
I’m not under the Blingy cluster. I’m under Spunky, which rarely has issue.

Usually the issues I get are when changing settings or adding new domains, some things at the beginning don’t work so i get desperate and contact them.

Any Way, in my Opinion DH Rocks, and I will stay with them for years to come, hoping they stay the same :slight_smile:

Reagards,
AHA

DH has a tough beginning in year 2008. Let’s wish DH a happy ending in year 2008.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

There have been some reports of Spunky glitches during the week but they seem to have it all figured out now. As Lensman mentioned, your Support requests might have been placed in an “oh, he’s on Spunky” queue until they worked the major problems out.

Glad to hear your opinion of DH remains high :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on all plans during April with APRIL08

I wish that were the case: our vBulletin forum with light usage slows to a crawl every day from this time with absolutely shocking server load averages.

There was a time too when I’d get responses from customer support tickets within a few hours at most but these days it’s usually at least a day if not longer before I get some pathetic “I looked at your site and it’s fine now” despite their own server test reports that are submitted with tickets showing that when they were submitted and not 36 hours later the server (good with spunky) was under a heavy load.

This happens every damn day.

Shockingly high load averages are a sign that something is wrong between your server and its filer. This would be consistent with the network cross-connect problem that was reported on the status site last week:

I find it helpful to be as specific in my support requests as possible - quoting exact times and load averages. As I’ve mentioned to others, I’ve found it particularly helpful to set up a few subdomains as “test” domains with either static sites or straight-out-of-the-box wordpress installations with few/no plugins to use as server test dummies.

Finally, I recommend being logical and nice in support requests. I find that people think I’m some kind of not-so-smart or kinda-crazy dummy if I make myself out to be mad. This is certainly consistent with what I see at work, where the most competent people never actually show their anger and frustration - because they’re just trying to solve problems.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

And that’s exactly what I’m talking about: it’s far from resolved and opening support tickets is a waste of time because they are ignored. I’ve been saying all along that it’s a problem with ‘dynamic’ web sites that reply on dbs and that ‘static’ sites are fine.

It’s DreamHost’s inability to accept there’s a continuing issue and to finally resolve it that’s the issue here.

What make you so certain that the problem that has been reported as resolved is the source of your performance issues? It is entirely possible that the issue they were addressing in that post is, indeed, resolved, but the problem you are having is something else altogether. :wink:

That has not been my experience. I’ve been here for years and have submitted numerous support tickets, none of which has ever been ignored. If your problem is ongoing, it may be that your problem is sporadic in nature (and therefore more difficult to isolate) - you’ve as much as said this yourself in your earlier post:

If the support techs are not seeing the load problem when they are processing your ticket, they are not likely to see the nature of the problem. I suggest you collect these load reports, with date and time indicated, and forward them to support along with your ticket. The more information you can provide the more likely it will be that the tech handling your ticket will be able to identify the problem.

If that is indeed the case, then I would be trying to help them pinpoint the exact circumstances of the problem so they can appropriately address the problem. If they do not see the “continuing issue”, how do you expect them “to finally resolve it”? What do you say to your auto mechanic when he can’t duplicate the problem you are experiencing? It’s pretty much the same kind of thing you seem to be dealing with here. :wink:

–rlparker

Except that when that mechanic has access to the report logs with dates and times, server reports submitted with them and has already tracked the issue to another part of the system (i.e. user who are “at least one really heavy user”), then yes, I’d expect him to fix it pretty quickly by removing the bad parts.

That’s pretty much the same kind of thing, I think.

I don’t know precisely what “report logs with dates and times” (logs, or reports, or both?) the tech support staff has readily available access to, but I suspect you might be thinking they have more readily accessible forensic tools than are actually available to them. Logs, sure! That’s kinda like that mechanic again who has access to your car’s diagnostics computer which, as everyone who has ever had a difficult to resolve engine issue knows, does not always provide a clear and unambiguous indication of the relevant problem.

I assume those “server reports” you are referring to, are the reports of the panel diagnostic tests - which show high load conditions, but don’t help much in determining why the load is high.

Well that is a bit of a different issue then, isn’t it? Of course they should “fix it pretty quickly” if “at least one really heavy user” is , in fact, the problem.

With NFS involved, high load numbers might be totally related to that alone, and often are the result of a cluster issue and not at all related to another user’s “really heavy use”. Again, you are making an assumption about what the source of the problem really is, and are very quick to assume that DH tech support is ignoring the problem when there is a very real, and understandable, possibility that they simply cannot identify the cause of the load condition that existed when you submitted the ticket.

Ok, what I gather from your previous posts in this thread is that you have a problem with your site being unresponsive at some time “every damn day” and that:

Support ignores your tickets

Then “the issue here” is “inability to accept there’s a continuing issue and to finally resolve it”

And finally you indicate you believe the that DreamHost "has already tracked the issue to another part of the system (i.e. user who are “at least one really heavy user”).

While I don’t think your logic is necessarily sound, as I’ve indicated above, it’s apparent that you believe it is, and is seems you think DreamHost is just refusing to deal with a problematic user that is affecting your shared server experience. In the 10 years I’ve hosted here, I’ve never seen that to be the case, and I can’t imagine that they treat you any differently than they treat me. For that reason, I suspect that there is likely something about your issue that is more complicated for them to deal with than you assume it to be.

I hope this thread doesn’t become a reprise of your last “marathon gripe fest” back in Februrary of 2007 (37 posts in several threads on February 25th alone!), and that you can get the matter resolved soon so won’t feel “dirty” about displaying your affiliate ad thing on “Captain Blue’s Page O’ Crap”.

Seriously, I’m sure DreamHost staff is not ignoring your support requests and will continue to work toward resolving your problem(s) even while you continue to bash them in these forums for their efforts - that’s just the way they roll. Good luck! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

The you assume incorrectly in your insistence on jumping to their support when it’s not due.

They have already said one more than one occasion that one or more users are abusing the system and have been warned. The trouble is they continue to wag their fingers at the heavy users who then just carry on regardless.

Still while they have apologists like you to stick up for them, I doubt things will improve.

Actually, I said that I “suspect” and that you “assume” … but that’s not worth quibbling over. You think you have it figured out, and you don’t like the way the server you are on is being managed. I think we get that.

Meh … I’m not buying that for at least two reasons that immediately come to mind:

1. In the year that has passed since you last graced us here with your presence (or closer to 14 months, if you don’t count the “Come on guys: update the one-clicks for Gallery and WordPress please!” post) I have seen numerous instances shared in these forums where users whose processes have negatively impacted others have had their activities curtailed in various ways. That is the normal and routine DreamHost response to such situations. That recent anecdotal evidence tends to support DreamHost stated position on such matters, and that has been consistent since 1998!

2. Common sense - It would be just plain “stupid” to allow a single user or group of users to negatively impact the service of a much larger group of users when all of their money has the same value. No business that did this regularly would survive for long, and it certainly would not manage to grow consistently over a 10 year period. The simple facts regarding DreamHost’s size and growth makes it pretty clear that they understand this, and have managed to serve “the many” sufficiently well to survive the antics of “the few”.

You are welcome to dismiss my observations regarding, and my experiences with, DreamHost over a ten year period as being inaccurate and/or irrelevant. You are also welcome to characterize my willingness to respond to a post that I think inaccurately characterizes a situation as my being an “apologist” if you want. It is your right to remain as ignorant as you choose to be. :wink:

I think DreamHost will continue to provide the best service they can to the greatest number of customers possible, and improve their ability to do so, irrespective of your, or my, opinion of them.

–rlparker

Jeez! You love the sound of your own voice on here, don’t you? Your post count/title confirms this.

Fine. You shove your fingers in your ears and sing “la la la”.

[quote] blah blah
2) Common sense - It would be just plain “stupid” to allow a single user or group of users to negatively impact the service of a much larger group of users when all of their money has the same value. No business that did this regularly would survive for long, and it certainly would not manage to grow consistently over a 10 year period. The simple facts regarding DreamHost’s size and growth makes it pretty clear that they understand this, and have managed to serve “the many” sufficiently well to survive the antics of “the few”[/quote]
Or in my case, perhaps more as I probably pay more to DreamHost than many users do.

Thanks goodness for that. It’s appreciated…

The only thing my “post count/title confirms”, is that I participate here a lot, rather than only showing up every year or so to pout and complain. A look through our respective posting histories confirms the nature, as well as the degree, of each of our participation, and that can be pretty revealing as well. :wink:

You’re welcome!

–rlparker

Well done you!

Here - have this:

word

That wasn’t the point of my post. The main point is that, depending on the timeframe involved with your issues, it could be the case that your underlying problem was obscured by the overall problem in communication with the cross connect. If you submitted a ticket about slowness and certainly one about high load average (rather than high CPU utilization) during a period where the cross connect was saturated, it would be natural for a system administrator to attribute your problems to that general problem.

Have they said this in response to a ticket you’ve opened after the cross-connect was upgraded? If so, then I’d call that a response and we just need to discuss whether it’s drastic enough. If not and you’re just pointing out their response to other situations in the past, then I don’t think we need to discuss it in the context of solving your current problem, though I’d be happy to discuss it in a separate thread. Then again, perhaps I’m making the mistake of being from Mars (a la “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus”). It is true that I’m trying to help you solve your problem while you may just be trying to vent in a thread labeled “Support?”. I originally thought you were just thread-crapping bringing up your problem in someone else’s thread, but I’ve come to think that maybe I’m wrong and you’re just stating your contrary opinion that from your perspective, the support you’ve been receiving is slow and bad. In that case, I’ll just observe that my support has always been fast and accurate. I’m particularly taken with my wife’s experience on the Blingy cluster, where despite obvious problems they continued to respond politely to her observations of high load with the fact that they thought the problem was due to a bad filer that they were trying to address and that she should hang in there if she could.

BTW, I’d like to make a request that you not just respond to the parts of my post that you disagree with. I feel this is a conversation and it frustrates me when people don’t answer the questions that I need to help me understand their situation.