The more of a non standard question you ask, the longer it takes. My last 5 questions have all taken at least 4 days to get a response to. I was very thorough, cited books and links, told them what I had already tried, etc. 2 of the 4 responses were short, as if they only read the first sentence, the other 2 were summed up as “figure it out yourself”.
In summary, for $15 a month you get no support for anything that you can’t spend an hour or two looking up in the wiki ( if you know what to look for ). But someone will send you back an email that is polite telling you a tip or hint to look up or research.
So far, 2 of the 5 questions directed me to the wiki, which had good info. I would not of know what term to look up to find it myself.
I sure wish I could afford to hire people to actually get sites running and do the things I need done. Such as:
- multiple blogs setup on one database - (was directed to wiki after almost a week)
- how to use mod_rewrite to direct hostnames to certain subdirectories - never got an answer on this one, and after a scathing letter for no response was told to figure it out myself.
- How to script or automate multiple subdomains instead of click the control panel software over and over - (5 days and waiting for an answer if this is even possible )
- basic questions - how to setup multiple domains under a single user ( easy once they told me how ), how to setup a single subdomain ( there was a server config error that wouldn’t let me use the control panel ), and other basic questions, answered in the range of 2 hours to 24 hours, with most taking at least 12 hours.
- How to setup cron timers to occur every 5 minutes instead of on the 5th minute of every hour ( took 3 days for a simple answer )
If I had a real budget I’d check out other hosting companies, as I tend to need more hand holding than they seem to want to give. I feel like they are purposely taking several days to respond so that I close my account out of frustration as I’m a customer that is costing them money instead of the normal customer who buys service and then never uses it, but keeps paying. At least, this is my embittered opintion
It has been 2 months and I keep running into dead ends when I’m trying to get stuff done. I need solutions to problems, not hours and hours of learning how to host. Seriously, I am getting more done on a test linux server at my house than on the dream host servers lol.
The actual servers have been pretty good though, especially for the price, but if you need to get things done in a timely manner, do not count on dream host support to help or fix it for you.