Support que 552, now 335

Are they dumping the support ques?? They only have like three full time support people and they resolved almost 200 requests in one hour??

Something “fishy” this way comes

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

No, they’re effectively answering question. Trust me, most support questions can be answered with a link to the Knowledge Base.

Where did you get that number from? I’d like to see some concrete evidence.

Stop looking for problems with DreamHost. If the problem concerns you, it will find you first.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

<No, they’re effectively answering question. Trust me, most support questions can be answered with a link to the Knowledge Base.>

With all do respect, macman, that is hardly “effectively answering a question”…how would you feel if you felt a serious matter was holding you back and the support sends you to a kbase link after waiting 48+ hours to do so? We are definitely going to AGREE to DISAGREE on that one…

<Where did you get that number from? I’d like to see some concrete evidence.>

Well i have submitted many many support requests, i have only had three different people respond to my queries: 1. Brian S. 2. Amanda 3. Will - and Will is no longer with them so I am not sure there are even 3…Please feel free to post the many other support staff that you have been in contact with, but until i’m shown otherwise, i’m sticking to my statement…Seriously what are the odds that I would submit well over 100 support requests over the past year and only be contacted by three different peeps-not very likely

<If the problem concerns you, it will find you first.>

I have to give you props on that one…that was pretty funny :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

In the past week I’ve had a support ticket responded to by two other names you can add to that list. And they’ve politely and as promptly as possible done more than just pointing to the kbase.

~Chell

Talked to Brett and Kelly in the past week. Quick replies and answered my questions fully.

About a month ago support was a little slow but that appears to be fixed. Dreamhost has always had the best staff, wish they frequented the board more, sucks since Will left :frowning:

willscorner.net

I’m sorry, let me clarify myself. What I was trying to get at is that most support requests are similar to “How do I use custom 404 errors?”. Very few are ever “a serious matter”.

You reported Bill, Amanda, and Will. That’s three, but Will has moved on, so that’s 2. Chell reported “two other names”, that’s 4. WJD reported Brett and Kelly, that’s 6. And I have had responses (all under 24 hours) from Trey, Steve, Josh, and Dan. As of now, the total count is 10.

MacManX.com

[quote]Are they dumping the support ques?? They only have like three full time
support people and they resolved almost 200 requests in one hour??

Something “fishy” this way comes

[/quote]

We are not “dumping the queues”.

First of all, we have far more than 3 full time support people, and have since some time in mid-1999 (I was Support Guy #2 at the time). In fact, within the past few weeks, we’ve hired 3 more support people in order to help handle the large growth we’ve been experiencing (as well as an extra Dev/Admin person, starting a bit later this month).

Second, today we had a couple of problems that impacted a (relatively) large number of customers in almost the exact same way. As you can imagine, it’s not terribly inefficient to answer a very large number of such messages with pertinent responses in a short amount of time. The time consuming responses are those that we don’t already know the cause of, or are harder to explain.

As a general rule, the larger the queue that you see, the more likely it is that “something happened” and a lot of those messages are nearly identical - and thus, you shouldn’t be surprised to a dramatic drop in the queue as someone goes through and answers them.

You also shouldn’t expect to see the same average number of questions in the queue as you’ve seen in years past. Given the extent in which we’ve increased in size, even on “non-heavy” support days (when most questions are usage related) we’ll find ourselves answering numbers of messages that only a year ago seemed positively huge. Luckily, we’ve increased our own support staff productivity in various ways, and have recently hired more people to keep up.

In any case, after browsing through some of your posts it’s pretty clear that you have a lot of negative things to say about our company: That’s fine, allowed, and in large part what this discussion forum was created for. We feel that providing an open forum for our customers to discuss their concerns is important, and shows that we’re willing to lay our reputation on the line - taking our lumps when they are deserved. It’s not clear that many other hosts are willing to take that chance.

However, I would ask that you keep these sorts of baseless accusations out of the forum. It’s one thing to come here with concerns about server stability, helpfulness (or lack thereof) of our support staff, etc. It’s quite another to impugn the ethics of our company and employees.

If you can keep things civil, you’re more than welcome to post your opinions - negative or otherwise - as long as you don’t bother/pester other users on the forum. However, common decency will be expected at all times.

Agreed?

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

[quote]You reported Bill, Amanda, and Will. That’s three, but Will has moved on,
so that’s 2. Chell reported “two other names”, that’s 4. WJD reported
Brett and Kelly, that’s 6. And I have had responses (all under 24 hours)
from Trey, Steve, Josh, and Dan. As of now, the total count is 10.

[/quote]

I hate to make you guys try to piece this together, especially since we do not have any employees by the name Amanda or Bill (or if we do, they’ve been doing a pretty lousy job clearing out the queue :>).

We officially have 13 full-time people on our TS Team, though a few of them do Dev/Admin work about half of the time. We also have a former DreamHost employee that we have help from time to time, when support loads are heavy.

Three of those people are brand new employees, added within the last few weeks. They’re still coming up to speed, but so far we’ve been nothing but impressed with their ability to hit the ground running.

I should note that some of the people you see responding to your messages aren’t TS at all, but rather are actual Dev/Admin team people.

It’s also not uncommon to hear from one of the co-founders of our company (Dallas, Josh, Michael or - for the very luckiest of you - Sage), as they are all involved in the day-to-day development and administration of our services. Josh in particular answers a fair number of questions on any given day.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Jeff, thank you for the comprehensive response.

MacManX.com

Well i have submitted many many support requests, i have only had three different people respond to my queries: 1. Brian S. 2. Amanda 3. Will

Personally I got answer from Kelly, Jeff, Brian and John.

Some of them was link to KB, but they explined the solution AND gived me the link for more info.

One thing you may notice is that if your initial request is answered by a specific person, you’re somewhat more likely to receive any future answers by that person.

This is because our technicians can make it so that your response either goes back to the main queue, goes to their personal queue during their shift, or goes back to their queue no matter what. Depending on the nature of your question and whether or not the issue is something that would be best resolved if it’s handled by the same person from start to finish.

The obvious benefit to this is that having the same person dealing with your issue from start to finish ensures that there is little chance for miscommunication. The negative side is that you’re somewhat more at the mercy of the schedule for that tech, though people usually make a point of clearing out their queues before the end of the day.

Often, techs will send stuff straight to the main queue most of the time, but recognize that it’s an ongoing issue and make a point of answering it. That’s what I do, except for stuff very specific to me (ie. abuse/policy issues and the like).

Also, if you tend to send your messages in at a given time or on certain days, it’s a bit more likely that you’ll have the same people looking at them as we all work pretty static shifts.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Jeff,

I am very glad to see someone finally standing up and taking notice of the concerns being expressed. I must say that I am quite startled in learning that your staff is limited to only 13 full time employees? :open_mouth:

13x40 (non-exempt i assume) = 520

24x7= 168, which means a little over 3-1 saturation

Not to be critical of your business module, but, do you really think 3-1 saturation is adequate for a webhost provider that I would assume has over a 520 client base? The mere fact you were running with only 10 before is quite alarming and would explain some of the serious problems that some of us have been experiencing over the past couple of months.

To be critically honest, it is quite lucky that your founders provided such a solid service at the beginning to adequately fund your business and staffing modules because capital investment firms (ie BayStar) would not touch this plan with a 10 foot pole.

Lastly, you have identified yourself as the DH discussion forum admin, yet, this is the first time I have ever had the pleasure…glad to meet you :slight_smile: now fix this thing so we can once again tout the glories of the DH of old!

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

You never give up, do you? You’re just going to continue to make a fool out of yourself. Just let them do their job.

It’s obviously adequate.

No, it doesn’t. The 10 support employees have nothing to do with the Admin team, which is what would be handling any of the “serious problems”. Also, let me remind you that there are still many of us who have yet to experience any of these so called “serious problems”.

That’s because he’s been working hard with the rest of the support team. The same support team that you chastise for not working hard enough. Would you kindly make up your mind about what you want?

MacManX.com

<We are not “dumping the queues”.>

That is good to hear, many figured as much because the forums would have been flooded with anger if that were the case. Speculation is never the law.

<First of all, we have far more than 3 full time support people, and have since some time in mid-1999 (I was Support Guy #2 at the time). In fact, within the past few weeks, we’ve hired 3 more support people in order to help handle the large growth we’ve been experiencing (as well as an extra Dev/Admin person, starting a bit later this month)>

Jeff, I do apologize for what I am about to say, but I hardly think 13 full time support people constitutes FAR MORE and of those 13 you mentioned in a later message, 3 of them are brand new and some of the 13 share dev/admin responsibilites to go along with their support tasks. If you would have said 130 support people, that, my friend, is FAR MORE than 3 :wink:

<Second, today we had a couple of problems that impacted a (relatively) large number of customers in almost the exact same way. As you can imagine, it’s not terribly inefficient to answer a very large number of such messages with pertinent responses in a short amount of time. The time consuming responses are those that we don’t already know the cause of, or are harder to explain.>

I definitely see your point on this one, and TBH, i did consider that later…can you tell me one thing, though…if the e-mail problems have been resolved, how come you have yet to update your own emergency status page?

<As a general rule, the larger the queue that you see, the more likely it is that “something happened” and a lot of those messages are nearly identical - and thus, you shouldn’t be surprised to a dramatic drop in the queue as someone goes through and answers them.>

I do concur with that as stated earlier…I can definitely see how that could happen.

<You also shouldn’t expect to see the same average number of questions in the queue as you’ve seen in years past. Given the extent in which we’ve increased in size, even on “non-heavy” support days (when most questions are usage related) we’ll find ourselves answering numbers of messages that only a year ago seemed positively huge. Luckily, we’ve increased our own support staff productivity in various ways, and have recently hired more people to keep up.>

Just one little thing i want to point out on this matter…i clearly remember the que being under 100 for the most part everyday, now recently it has been running in the 300-500+, which is relatively 3-5x higher than the average of a year ago, yet, you have admitted that staff has been increased only by 30% or 1/3…how are these few extra support staff members going to be able to handle the tremendous current loads that has been experienced as of late?

<In any case, after browsing through some of your posts it’s pretty clear that you have a lot of negative things to say about our company: That’s fine, allowed, and in large part what this discussion forum was created for. We feel that providing an open forum for our customers to discuss their concerns is important, and shows that we’re willing to lay our reputation on the line - taking our lumps when they are deserved. It’s not clear that many other hosts are willing to take that chance.>

My venting on here is the only thing that has allowed me to remain a DH customer, it’s only the positive things that others say that remind me of the way it used to be and the hopeful attitude that it may be again some day.

<However, I would ask that you keep these sorts of baseless accusations out of the forum. It’s one thing to come here with concerns about server stability, helpfulness (or lack thereof) of our support staff, etc. It’s quite another to impugn the ethics of our company and employees.>

My accusations were hardly “baseless” as you so eloquently put. Which accusation are you speaking of? While it may have been a stretch with the “3 support staff” statement, it was hardly irradicated by your assertion of me being way off by a whole 10 people (7 until recently)…funny thing is, the roll call as the other members had posted almost had it right with 10. If I have hurt your feelings in any way, please excuse my brash behaviour, but your company has hurt me in lost clients, overall downtime, and most importantly a distrust that I did not experience at all in the previous YEAR. Yet, unlike you, I have remained faithful throughout my ordeal and continue to be a PAYING customer of your most expensive shared hosting package, and you are asking me to leave or showing me the door, priceless…

<If you can keep things civil, you’re more than welcome to post your opinions - negative or otherwise - as long as you don’t bother/pester other users on the forum. However, common decency will be expected at all times.>

and by the term civil, i am most sure that you mean=" Sufficiently observing or befitting accepted social usages; not rude: a civil reply. See synonyms at polite." in lieu of the legal definition “Relating to the rights of private individuals and legal proceedings concerning these rights as distinguished from criminal, military, or international regulations or proceedings.”…I can most definitely aspire in both categories…please elaborate on your definition of “decency” though…does this mean I will have to adorn the shiny happy people holding hands cloak, if so, than these discussion threads hardly make up a “Forum” = A public meeting place for open discussion.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<In the past week I’ve had a support ticket responded to by two other names you can add to that list. And they’ve politely and as promptly as possible done more than just pointing to the kbase.

~Chell
http://www.chellsroost.com>

thank you chell, that makes at least 5 :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<I’m sorry, let me clarify myself. What I was trying to get at is that most support requests are similar to “How do I use custom 404 errors?”. Very few are ever “a serious matter”.>

I would have to agree with you on that one–a majority of support requests are probably more based upon consulting questions rather than actual serious problems.

<You reported Bill, Amanda, and Will. That’s three, but Will has moved on, so that’s 2. Chell reported “two other names”, that’s 4. WJD reported Brett and Kelly, that’s 6. And I have had responses (all under 24 hours) from Trey, Steve, Josh, and Dan. As of now, the total count is 10.>

Mac, as reported later, you almost hit the nail on the head…you came up with 10 and jeff said there were 13…i guess you win the raffle :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

I have to congratulate you. That’s two baseless accusations in one sentence. On what grounds do you accuse Jeff of not being faithful to his paying customers? And, no, he isn’t asking you to leave. Though, the thought that he would be asking you to leave is priceless. I think you need to take a 24 hour break and re-think your debate structure. It is in the process of collapsing.

MacManX.com

Just when i thought we were heading down the path of friendship…

<You never give up, do you? You’re just going to continue to make a fool out of yourself. Just let them do their job.>

Mac, how in goodness gracious do you think i am preventing them from doing their jobs? And as far as the fool remark, you may want to read Jeffs response about being civil or else…i have not once slandered another poster in here, so i do expect the same. Please keep the name calling in the school yard.

<No, it doesn’t. The 10 support employees have nothing to do with the Admin team, which is what would be handling any of the “serious problems”. Also, let me remind you that there are still many of us who have yet to experience any of these so called “serious problems”.>

Anytime a posting is made to the DH emergency status page, it has to be considered a serious problem. Just because your luck has continued does not admonish the problems that currently exist.

<That’s because he’s been working hard with the rest of the support team. The same support team that you chastise for not working hard enough. Would you kindly make up your mind about what you want?>

See, i have to agree with that statement…that is probably why i havent met him before because they have been extraordinarily busy. The only thing I want is for DH to get back to being DH…nothing more, nothing less

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Good, can we keep it there, please? Then we’ll be heading down a path of friendship.

MacManX.com

(Yet, unlike you, I have remained faithful throughout my ordeal and continue to be a PAYING customer of your most expensive shared hosting package, and you are asking me to leave or showing me the door, priceless…)

<I have to congratulate you. That’s two baseless accusations in one sentence.>

Where are these baseless accusations that you refer to? That I am a paying customer or that the support team actually asked me to leave their service…believe me, they are 100% true on both occassions.

<On what grounds do you accuse Jeff of not being faithful to his paying customers? And, no, he isn’t asking you to leave. Though, the thought that he would be asking you to leave is priceless. I think you need to take a 24 hour break and re-think your debate structure. It is in the process of collapsing.>

I never accussed Jeff personally of the struggle I have endured. Thanks for the nice sentiment about you thinking me leaving would be priceless…thats very nice of you. As far as me needing to take a break and rethink my debating structure, i “debate” for a living my good man, THIS is a hobby :slight_smile: I have never devalued you as a person, and i would suggest you do the same…you never know to whom you may be speaking on the other end of this terminal :wink:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd