I hope this helps!
NOTE: PHP 5.3 is recommended for the ability to automatically include Upload Zips.
1. Set up a new domain, subdomain, or folder for Sugar (done through Dreamhost GUI). For this demo, use "sugarcrm.yourDomain.com".
2. Set up a new MySQL database in Dreamhost Panel.
3. Test DB connection from command line to ensure Dreamhost set it up properly (e.g. "mysql -u rootUser -p -h sugarcrm.crm.yourDomain.com sugarMysql_db")
4. Download the latest Community edition, and unzip into a folder that is NOT under /home/yourUserName/site.domain.com folder.) Note: if there is anything in the site.domain.com folder, your script will fail.(http://www.sugarforge.org/)
5. Set file and directory permissions according to Required File System Permissions on Linux (http://support.sugarcrm.com/)
run file (preferably in a location like /home/yourUserName/files). Type './download' to start the process and answer the wizard questions: ENTER (to accept license), Y (install SugarCRM), Y (to install PhpMyAdmin), then enter in your folder (e.g. /home/yourUserName/sugarcrm.yourDomain.com), 1 (to accept typical install).
6. Modify "/home/yourUserName/sugarcrm.yourDomain.com/apps/sugarcrm/htdocs/config_si.php" to reflect the DB config that you made.
8. Wizard will display a screen bar across the screen as it installs. Will take about 2 minutes.
9. From your web browser, navigate to your Sugar folder to continue the setup process. By default, this will likely look something like "http://sugarcrm.yoursite.com:8080/sugarcrm". There you will get a wizard that will give you initial startup questions.
Let me know if you have any other questions