Sudden MT problem - errors and unable to post

I’ve been running MT on my site since August. They did the installation since I had absolutely no time to let myself fool around with it. It’s been running flawlessly… until tonight. This afternoon around 5pm I updated an entry on the site (that hadn’t been published yet), and now, at midnight, I am getting errors every time I try to post a new entry or rebuild an existing entry:

mkdir /home/.absolut/jukegrad: Permission denied at lib/MT/FileMgr/ line 104

I haven’t changed the perms. i haven’t touched a damn thing between 5pm and right now. I didn’t get any notification of any overall database updates (the only thing that I could imagine could have happened). And now I am blocked, with a deadline on friday looming. The site is serving. I can ftp in and see the directories - nothing has been changed with the scripts since MT was installed on 8/2 - only updated files are the archive and index templates, as it should be.

Any DH/MT gurus willing to offer advice? Fwiw, mt-check.cgi is giving me a 500 error, and when I tried to see if i could just change the perms on the scripts (a wild guess), i’m getting “500 CHMOD not understood” as an FTP error.

I’ve filed a trouble ticket with support but that could take some time, probably more than i have to spare right now. any help, assistance, or pointers in the right direction are appreciated.

Never used that, or know anything about it… but if I had something that stopped working, I’d probably try replacing " /home/.absolut/jukegrad" with " /home/jukegrad" anywhere it’s used in the script, to see if that makes a difference.

If the problem is due to the mountpoint changing, you can fix it in MT by clicking on “Weblog Config” in the left menu bar after logging in to manage your weblog, and then making sure the Local Site Path and the Local Archive Path start with /home/jukegrad instead of /home/.absolut/jukegrad.

I’m not sure that’s the problem, but it’s worth a try.

I just did some quick googling on the error message you are getting:

and I found several other people blogging (presumably after fixing it) about the same problem. In each case, the problem was that, unbeknownst to them, their home directory had been moved. The fix was to correct the local site path and archive path. So, I am now much more confident that this will fix your problem.