Subscribing by email to announcement lists

Is it possible for people to subscribe to Mailman announcement lists via email? I’ve tried a few things from the various Mailman pages around the web and none seem to work, but I thought I might be missing a trick.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this question? I’m hoping that subscriptions by email are possible because too many of the Mailman confirmation email messages are not being clicked on the other end. They look like regular people signing up, not bots. So my assumption is that they’re not receiving the confirmation message in email because it’s being filtered out by spam prevention measures.

If you don’t have any thoughts on this question, perhaps you could suggest remedies that would increase the likelyhood that the confirmation message will make it through to the new subscriber.

I’m not clear what the question is. Are you thinking it’s a feature that’s active, but you don’t know how people are using it? Or do you want that feature?

Confirmation emails need to be clicked at the other end for it to be a legitimate opt-in list. To test the spamminess of the message, you’d have to start experimenting on your own, even by setting up Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail test accounts.

-Scott

It’s a feature that ordinarily comes with Mailman lists, I believe. If that’s the case for announce-only email lists, then I’d like to know what the default email address to subscribe to my DH MM email list. If it’s not available for announce-only MM lists, then I’d like to know that, too.

It’s been a while since I’ve set up such a list, but when I have, it creates several email addresses that show up in the Panel under Manage Email. Here’s what it sent me a while back:

You can also make such adjustments via email by sending a message to:

LIST-request@lists.MYDOMAIN.com

with the word `help’ in the subject or body (don’t include the
quotes), and you will get back a message with instructions.

List specific commands (subscribe, who, etc) should be sent to the
*-request address for the particular list, e.g. for the 'mailman’
list, use ‘mailman-request@…’.

Also, you should see much of this from the admin page:
http://list.MYDOMAIN.com/admin.cgi/LIST-MYDOMAIN.com

-Scott