Subdomains on unique IP of parent?

Hey all, I’m new to Dreamhost. I have a unique IP on one of my main domains set up, but expected my subdomains to point to the main domain’s unique IP. But I see I have to assign a separate one to it.

What I’d like:

domain.com -> unique IP
sub1.domain.com -> same unique IP
sub2.domain.com -> same unique IP

sub1 will host a bunch of files in a subdirectory at Dreamhost, and sub2 will be a redirect to another site (so unique IP not so important, but I like to be neat).

Is this possible?

Thanks!

What are you using the unique IP for? Anonymous FTP or SSL?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

Hi Lensman! Unsure exactly yet, but anon ftp, maybe ssl too. I expected subdomains to live on the same IP as a main domain, as they would on a single-hosted external machine. Can I make this happen somehow? If not with the webpanel maybe via DNS records?

This isn’t the way things by default work. You can try submitting a support ticket, but as it doesn’t strike me that there’s any real good reason for needing this, I suspect it would be one of those things where they say unless you have a good reason for it, they’d prefer that you just left things the way they’ve designed it to work.

I’m open to being corrected on this, but there’s a decent argument for making sure that the one domain you have assigned a unique IP in fact has a unique IP rather than having one that’s shared among a couple of sites that you own.

That said, I know that because of the way PS works, all sites on a Dreamhost PS server get the same IP address and that address is guaranteed to be your own.

The way SSL works, unless you purchase an expensive wildcard certificate, you need to assign a unique IP address to each domain that you have a certificate for.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

I use subdomains to host various site including subversion respository on my dreamhost account. I would like to use SSL using a self signed SSL certificate across these subdomains. Thus need to be able to share the unique IP across all the subdomains. So would be keen to if this can be done?