Subdomains for joomla components

I have downloaded a forum component and a directory component for my website being done with Joomla CMS.

The link to the components open within the site. Is there an option to create subdomains and put the components there

http://www.personalfinance201.com

Not that I am aware off…by assumption, if not by definition, the components are an “addon” to the Joomla! CMS and where they “live” is dependant upon the Joomla! structure with most components.

Of course, for the components that are Open Source, you could always re-code them to live in a subdomain I suspect - I know of none that have done so, as that is a non-standard way of implementing components for Joomla! (and the whole point of a widely used component is the “standard” nature of how it lives n the framework :wink: .

–rlparker

Thanks rlparker.

Can I create a subdomain like blog.personalfinance201.com and download wordpress in addition to Joomla and point it to the subdomain?

Similarly can I download PhpBB and put a forum at forum.personalfinance201.com?

If possible, please tell me how plz. U might guess it right that I’m a newbie!!

http://www.personalfinance201.com

[quote]Can I create a subdomain like blog.personalfinance201.com and download wordpress in addition to Joomla and point it to the subdomain?

Similarly can I download PhpBB and put a forum at forum.personalfinance201.com?[/quote]
Yes, and that is a very good way to approach that. I was responding to your original post regarding *components" for Joomla! - if you want to run WordPress and phpBB, you can certainly do that from within, or from subdirectories under, your Joomla! directory. :wink:

I think doing it in subdomain can be simpler for a new user because you can still use the “one-click” installer and don’t have to worry about possibly conflicting .htaccess files.

To do what you suggest, just Create the new subdomains from the Control Panel -> Manage Domains screen and wait for them to become “live”, then use the “one-click” installer just as you did with Joomla!

–rlparker

Remember that if you want to use the built-in Joomla! components, you can just accept the standard location of the addons and then just create a redirect from forums.example.org and blog.example.org to the urls of the standard install at example.org/blahblahblah/.

Your users urls will end up looking like example.org/blahblahblah, but they can at least type in or bookmark forums.example.org as a url that will direct them to the forums part of your site.

OTOH, the idea of doing a separate installation of phpbb and wordpress will work as well. I dunno what extra effort you have to go through to get single-sign-on to work in this configuration, if that’s something you want.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options