Subdomain

I want to point only one subdomain of my another domain, hosted somewhere else, to my dreamhost account. A have access to dns record and have added A field for subdomain to point to dreamhost server, but I can’t make dns entry in dreamhost control panel. I have tried to add this subdomain entry like any other domain/subdomain, but I`m getting error message: Can’t add domain: you don’t have permission to add to myanotherdomainname.com.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I don’t think this can be done directly from the panel, but it may be one of the things Dreamhost tech support can do for you behind the scenes if you ask them. This would require the domain record at the other host for the subdomain to be pointed at the proper Dreamhost IP address, which I presume the Dreamhost techs would tell you when they set it up.

– Dan

you could also just add in the origional domain so that the panel will allow you to add the subdomain. Just don’t set up any E-mail address for mydomain.com and then I think it will work.

-Matttail

Just done this, in the panel everything gone ok, but now when trying to access new subdomain, I get following error:

Site Temporarily Unavailable
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.
error id: “bad_httpd_conf”

NS lookups are ok, subdomain is pointing to dreamhost server, so problem must in its dns entry for subdomain.

Support clamis that this will fix it self in a short time, but it seems it may only fix it self in a short amout of time after you contact support.

-Matttail

Ill give it some time to see if it is going to fix itself, if not Ill contact tech support.

Thanks a lot.

congrats Bob, on becoming a Dreamhost Pooh-bah
:slight_smile: 1200 posts…

-Matttail

You can have the Porsche, as long as one is saved for me.

-Matttail

I’m only delurking to make sure I keep my lead.

Ooof. Them’s fightin’ words. People. Glass houses. Stones.

Holy Sh*t, I didn’t even notice. So, where’s my new car? My 88 Honda is getting old…

-Matttail