Subdomain redirect is not working

About 18 hours ago I setup a subdomain on my dreamhost registered domain “mydomain.com

The domain has DNS nameservers pointing to another host where the website itself is hosted. “mydomain.com” itself works just fine and as expected.

I setup the subdomain “x.mydomain.com” to redirect to another site, however each time I go to the subdomain itself I get nothing. Does it have something to do with the nameservers? I can’t figure out what the problem seems to be.

Chrome gives me a “could not find”. IE gives me:

Technical Information (for support personnel)
Error Code 11001: Host not found
Background: This error indicates that the gateway could not find the IP address of the website you are trying to access. This is usually due to a DNS-related error.
Date: 12/5/2013 6:06:08 PM [GMT]
Server:
Source: DNS error

It’s probably that x.mydomain.com has not propagated completly yet, you might use this tool https://www.whatsmydns.net/ to check.

How do you have the DNS pointed to the other site? thru namesever changes or manual DNS records?

Your message is actually a little bit confusing. the first line makes it sound like you are using dreamhost hosting. the next makes it sound like you’re using other hosting.

That is awesome info! Thanks very much. It currently shows that the DNS is only checked in California at the moment.

Sorry about the confusing description. I registered “www.mydomain.com” with Dreamhost. Then I pointed the DNS nameservers of that domain to a service that would build/host my registered domain.

Is there a simpler way to express that? It confuses me as I type and just try to think about it.

you’ve got it now =]

Thanks for the help so far. Its been over 24 hours and still my subdomain is not propogating. This is the exact same process I used:

The map at https://www.whatsmydns.net/ shows all x’s. Is this normal? Should I be getting something by now?

Thanks.

no that’s not normal, but if you have the nameservers pointed elsewhere you will need to do something there.

Even tho you registered the domain at dreamhost, you told dreamhost you wanted another host to control it by setting those nameservers.

DNS propagation shouldn’t take that long. You can just ask support from Dream Host to handle it for you if you want. Or at least let them check which hosts your DNS are pointing at. This can really be confusing specially since you might not get results right away every time you change your DNS settings.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It turns out I had to do the following (per contact support):